Chapter Thirteen

"I will not be another flower, picked for my beauty and left to die. I will be wild, difficult to find, and impossible to forget."

- Erin Van Vuren

Annie and I didn't exactly abandon our investigation, but we took a break from it. There wasn't much that we could do at the moment.

Annie remained to be her usual calm self. But I could see how truly fragile she is. For she was like a crystal -- shiny and beautiful, yet easily breakable. I could see it especially when Trevor was nearby.

The things he said to her were cruel. And I have no idea what Annie's family life is like, so how would he know? Probably some sort of mind-reading crap.

Two weeks went by, and Annie had been more quiet than normal. Most days, she kept to her dorm, which didn't give me many opportunities to hang out with her. All I hoped was that she didn't attempt the same thing she did at the night of the ball.

With that being said, philosophy class became more and more unbearable. I've practically begged Miss McGill to have my seat changed, yet she refused to have it done. So I was stuck with Jenna.

The course was becoming useless to me -- I might as well not be there. Everything McGill said would fly over my head. My mind was always elsewhere.

Suddenly, during class one afternoon, Jenna jabbed my arm; which made me jump out of my chair. She gave me a look of confusion as laughter aroused from the class.

"Thank you, Miss Moore. Sit down, Williams." McGill spoke rather sternly. "See me after class. We have something to discuss." I groaned.

It was only a few minutes before the bell rang. Everyone rushed out of class in excitement, considering it was the last course of the day. Miss McGill approached me menacingly.

"Mr. Williams, where is your project?" she asked.

My mind went blank. "What?"

"Where. Is. Your. Project?" a frown crossed her face.

"Uh..."

"Don't tell me you've forgotten." Her voice slightly began to rise.

"Um... no?"

"Then where is it?!" she shouted.

I didn't know how to respond. My mind has been so preoccupied lately that I've completely vacated it out of my head.

"You haven't done it, I presume?!" She scoffed. "Two weeks, Williams! Two weeks! That was more than enough time to work on it! What have you been doing this whole time?!"

"...I'm sorry-

"Don't you dare start that crap with me, boy! You were asked to do an assignment and was expected to turn it in at a certain time. Even with all the reminders you were given, you've still somehow managed to fail this simple task!" McGill lectured.

She strived towards her desk, sitting on it and looking at me square in the eyes with a rather dangerous manner -- it felt more like she was glaring into my soul. "You had one job, Grayson. You need to start taking this class more seriously."

"Taking it seriously? That's all I've been doing-

"Don't you raise your voice at me, young man!" snapped McGill.

Silence fell upon the room, tension rising at every corner. "Get out." She finally said, and I stormed off.

Anger pulsed through me as I yanked open my locker, shoving in my binder before slamming it shut. I took a deep breath.