Chapter Ten

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did my back hurt your knife?"

                                                            - Rachel Green

I didn't know what to do. Whether I should confront them and risk getting myself killed, or run -- run as fast as possible.

But merely I stood there, frozen.

"I can't believe it..." Annie whispered. I jumped a little -- I almost forgotten she was with me the whole time.

Trevor sat by the fire, a malicious grin spreading on his face as he glared into the flames. He was proud of his actions.

The others were talking casually, as if they were having a dinner party -- mingling with one another. Jenna stood away from them, looking bored.

I almost gagged when my mind processed the fact that I dated a sick woman from a sick cult.

And if Annie was right about all this supernatural stuff, about the rituals and the victims, all this talk about "nightstalkers", immortal vampire things...

Then that makes Jenna one of them.

My mind began racing as I tried to think of any odd behaviors Jenna and Trevor could've given.

I think of the day back in philosophy, when Trevor's stare bore into mine. His eyes were dangerously red...

And when we had that assembly for the announcing of the ball. They both arrived late, and Jenna was freaking out.

But that could've been for different reasons.

"Annie, we have to get out of here! We need to report this to the Headmaster!"

She didn't budge, keeping her gaze on Kathy's limp body.

"Annie!"

"They're going to feed on her." She said simply. "They're going to stuff her body in their cavern, with the others, and feed until the only thing remaining is bones. Even if it takes years and she'll rot... they'll still eat her."

"Yes, okay, let's worry about that after -- come on!"

Grabbing her arm, she almost tripped as she stood. I took a step back; there was a soft crack underneath my foot.

Shit.

All the cult members fled their eyes towards our direction. "Humans." One of them hissed.

"Run!"

Annie and I sprinted through the woods, barely able to see anything. I heard the rustle of footsteps behind me, and I knew they were chasing after us.

Suddenly, my foot caught in a hole, and I fell down abruptly.

Annie stopped by me. "Grayson! Are you alright?!"

"I'm fine, but keep going! Run!"

She hesitated for a second, but then dashed off, hopefully able to reach the school in time.

Standing up slowly, I felt the stinging burn in my knees that were probably scraped as I fell. Yet the second I started to run, someone tackled me back down.

I tried lunging him off, but he held onto my feet. Turning around, I attempted to kick him. He jumped and pinned me down -- it was Trevor.

"Well, look who it is!" He said arrogantly. I could almost see his smirk despite it almost being pitch black.