Chapter Eleven

"Hell is empty, and all the devils are here."

                                                        - William Shakespeare

I gasped for air as I sat up in bed, vision mildly blurry. My heart was still racing, and cold sweat dripped on my face.

Taking a few breathers, I lay back down slowly. It was just a dream. A long, vivid nightmare. Right?

I examined my arm where it had been cut... there was no scar. Left untouched.

The only thing that hurt was the ache in my head. It was pounding hard, and the grogginess in my eyes didn't help.

However, my system was filled with relief. Of course, having a nightmare like that made sense. With no sight of Annie, her nonsense about those creatures, Kathy Burns and my frustration towards Jenna and Trevor... it was bound to happen.

After a long sigh, I forced myself out of bed. I checked the time -- it was a little past one in the afternoon.

Wow. Did I really sleep that hard? It's a good thing it's Sunday.

Swiftly changing, I charged out of the dormitory. I wasn't really paying attention to what surrounded me, and I ended up bumping into Jenna. Well, more like running into her.

She stumbled back, almost losing her balance and falling over. Her friends caught hold of her just in time.

"Watch it, freak!" Vanessa spat.

"Sorry..." I mumbled, barely able to speak.

Jenna's eyes suddenly bore into mine. I felt my anxiety grow as I studied them.

Normal. Her usual red-brown eyes glistened.

"Gray... are you alright?" she asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah..."

"You've been sleeping for several hours, and you don't look so well. Are you sure everything's okay?" Jenna's tone was full of concern and kindness... it didn't match her one bit.

"I, uh... I'm a little sick. I also had a hard time falling asleep, so..." I lied, still watching her eyes with caution.

Okay. I know it was merely a bad dream. Well, nightmare -- but there was something off about her.

We remained silent for a moment, then Jenna spoke out; "Um, guys? Can you give us a second?"

The four girls groaned, and made their way towards the red couch. I still had Annie on my mind, and running out of patience.

"Listen, about yesterday..."

My eyes widened and my heart dropped into my stomach. So... it was true?

"I don't want you to take what Trevor said seriously. He was just... messing around." She explained nervously. "He only really wanted to get you mad."

"Wha- what?" I stuttered as confusion settled in me. What is she talking about?

"You... don't remember?" she inquired, and when I didn't respond, she said; "Yesterday, at the cafeteria?"

"Oh... oh! Yeah, uh... it's fine." Wow. Have I really let this dream get to me? "Listen, Jenna, I have to go. See you around, okay?"

She opened her mouth to say something, as if to protest, but before she could I rushed out of the lounge  and into one of the wings. I wasn't sure where I was going, but I knew this; I wanted to be away from her.