39. Home

Unedited

Mridula's POV

I lifted my head up to find him staring at me. I knew his words were just empty promises but the look in his eyes, they showed he meant what he had just uttered.

"Now, that everything is sorted, I would like to take my wife home!" I tried keeping an impassioned expression. Even though I wanted to scream at him for using that word for me.

I am nothing to him!

"No!" I turned to look at my father for his blunt rejection. Even my mom was staring at him in surprise.

"She just got back home, her home...She will stay..."

My mother held my Papa's hand and intervened. "What he means is...that you both should stay for a few days."

Papa looked at my mom to object but I already knew who would win this debate. Undoubtedly, my mom!

I glanced at Uday's direction who seemed to be thinking about this. I wanted him to say no. I don't think I want to act to be in love with him in front of my parents.

"As you wish." He said as he looked at my mother that she returned back with an affectionate smile.

"Take him to your room, Mridula." My eyes snapped at her direction. Can't we give him a guest room to stay in?

The question was at the tip of my tongue but I held back. I glanced at him and he just gave me a smug look.

He got up and waited for me to go back to his side. From the corner of my eyes, I saw my father keenly observing us. I swallowed hard and started taking steps towards him with a smile on my face.

Have to keep up the act!

As soon as I was an arm's length from him, he reached out for me and pulled me back to his side. I kept myself from showing how I truly feel for him.

Hate.

And smiled widely as I tilted my face to stare at him.

"What are his favorite dishes, Mridula? I'll make those for dinner tonight." My mom questioned me and panic rose in me. I don't know how to answer this.

"I don't have any favorites. Anything is fine for me, Ma'am." He replied politely.

This man is acting like the perfect gentleman. And my mom seems to be buying this act of his.

She smiled and then continued, "Then I'll make your favorite dishes, Mridula."

Now, I have become secondary at my own home because of him.

I excused us and dragged him along with me as he wasn't letting go of my hand. He didn't even leave my hand as we climbed the stairs.

"You seriously have no favorites?" I asked him with disbelief once we reached upstairs and away from my parents.

"I am not fussy when it comes to food. But Baba Sa thinks that whatever dish he makes from my Ma'a recipe book is my favorite." He replied as he took in our surroundings. I wanted to ask if he was the same when he was a child but then I remembered what he had said about his mother. He might have thrown tantrums in front of his mother at least. But I don't want to bring up a sensitive topic for him.

I might hate him but I am not inhuman.

I marched to the door of my room, ignoring the door that led to my piano room. He made it clear that he has no interest in music.

I pushed the door open. And I have to be honest, the peace you get in your own home just hits differently. The comfort of your own room is just unexplainable. I think that I will have a peaceful sleep tonight.