26. Wishful thinking

I know the update is late than usual, I had a family emergency and was feeling low to write.
But here's the update...Don't forget to vote and comment!

Mridula's POV

I turned back to follow his line of vision, only to find him standing there, staring sharply at me with fire blazing in his eyes...

I lowered my eyes under his scrutinising stare. But then I realised that I wasn't in the wrong so, why should I avoid meeting his eyes...

I breathed in deeply and then looked up only to find him walk closer to us and stop at a measurable distance. He was in his usual business suit just minus the tie. I felt Vaibhav's hands tightened around my waist in somewhat reassurance.

"What are you doing here, Mr. Shekhawat?" I tried to hide the embers of nervousness in my voice. It wasn't everyday that he will find me in his rival's arms.

"What is he doing here?" He rumbled back with a question. His words felt controlled unlike the glint of fire in his dark eyes. His eyes landed on Vaibhav once and then found mine. I couldn't decipher the emotion that took over them before he stared at me impassively.

I glanced up at Vaibhav's direction to find him staring at Uday with a smirk. A smirk that had a slight glimmer of viciousness. He looked at me as he might have felt the weight of my stare and pulled me closer to him. The smirk disappearing the very next second.

"Where else would her boyfriend be...if not here, Mr. Shekhawat?" He spoke with a politeness that didn't seem to match his words.

"So this is your secret boyfriend?" I flinched slightly under the harshness of his voice. This wasn't how I had imagined him knowing about us...Actually I hadn't given it much of a thought!

"Hmm...One and only!" Vaibhav commented and then kissed my hair softly.

I saw Uday take a step forward and decide to intervene.

"Mr. Shekhawat..." I placed my palm on his chest to stop him. He looked down at me with clenched jaw and a hard expression as he was waiting to unleash his anger. His stubbornness clearly reflected in his eyes. I knew how rivalry works and I refuse to be caught up in the middle of this. I knew that I had to act practically before they both start throwing punches at each other and act like uncivilised people.

But I also knew only one of them will listen to me and prevent things from escalating...

I pulled my hand back and turned to face Vaibhav.

"Vaibhav...I think you should go home!" I whispered in hopes that he will listen to me. I knew what I was asking from him was wrong but things could take a different turn if he stays here. Hurt flashed in his eyes and he didn't try to hide it.

"I am not leaving you alone with him!" He said decisively.

"Please just listen to me...I can't control what he does but I can persuade you to at least listen to me!" Vaibhav stared at me in contemplation.

"I think you should do what your girlfriend is telling you to, Rajawat!" Uday's voice from behind me in a taunting way as if he was provoking him.

I fixed my eyes at him with a silent plea, telling him to ignore Uday and act practically.

"Please!" I voiced in hope.

"I am only doing this for you, Mridula!" He stated as he took a step away from me. I mouthed a quick thank you and he just nodded. This just shows that he trusts me...even with his rival!