(30) Family Ties... or Lack Thereof!

Start from the beginning

I declared, presenting the cheque to her. 

Her eyes widened further as she glanced towards (Y/N) expectantly.

"This should cover any expenses you've incurred for her… and some other things."

(Y/N)'s face remained an impassive mask, his gaze flitting across the exorbitant numbers before he gently pushed the cheque back into my outstretched hand.

"Refused?"

I questioned, surprised. 

"........," 

╔. ■ .═══════╗

╚═══════

╚═══════. ■ .╝

"........,"  

Pride or stubbornness, I knew, were more likely culprits than genuine lack of need.

(Y/N)'s response was swift and defensive. 

He scooped Alissa into his arms, holding her close against his chest like a protective shield. 

An accusatory glint shot from his eyes as he raised an eyebrow at my offer.

"Watch yourself, Your Highness. Don't think I haven't noticed your advances on my little one.  Just because she's adorable doesn't mean you can win her affection with extravagant displays of wealth. Stealing won't do, either."

Surprised by his reaction, I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow in response. 

"Stealing? Hardly!"

I countered playfully, pointing at him with a mock frown. 

"Just trying to provide for your precious daughter here."

A hint of amusement flickered across his otherwise impassive face. 

Perhaps he understood the playful jab hidden within my words. 

Of course, he wouldn't want anyone, especially not me, to snatch away the child he'd taken responsibility for. 

"You'd reject such riches just because…?"

I pressed, a smirk spreading across my lips. 

"My valiant attempt at generosity seems to have fallen flat. You don't want it? Fine by me."

Turning my attention elsewhere, I spotted Hans standing nearby, a picture of theatrical despair as he surveyed the perfect fruit now coverd in dirt.

"Hans!" 

My voice boomed, effectively drawing his attention.

He materialized before me with a wave of my hand, his demeanor instantly transforming from overdramatic queen to attentive servant.