(16) The Rabbit Wants His Wolf's Attention.

It has been a few days since that incident occurred, and Derrick has been avoiding me ever since.

I was informed that the letter I sent to Penelope had finally reached her and that she woke up four days after I left,... After passing out once again.

It appeared that the letter was with Derrick all that time.

"............,"

As I lay on the king-sized bed, I examined the mask that the Duke tended to wear with great care.

"What makes this mask so special?"

I wondered, reaching out for the mask lying on the nightstand.

"Is it that hard to recognize me with it on...?"

I mused, slipping the mask over my features, pondering over Callisto's obliviousness.

"Where does he look when I talk to him that he can't recognize me just because I took off a mask...?"

My dic-..., nevermind.

With a sigh, I rose from the comfort of the bed and made my way to the ornate mirror positioned against the wall.

Standing before it, I studied my reflection before and after taking off the mask, taking note of the familiar features staring back at me.

The thick yet fluffy, disheveled nape-length dark hair, framed my face. Long-ish bangs, the hue of deep black, slightly obscured my purple eyes.

Yet, despite the mask's absence, there was a resemblance to the figure who had worn it moments ago.

Furrowing my brows, I whispered to my reflection, "Is it truly that difficult to recognize me without the mask?"

The unanswered question lingered in the air, echoing in the silence of the room as I continued to stare at the reflection before me.

"Weird,"

I muttered, still not quite comprehending why Callisto failed to recognize my identity despite having the opportunity.

"Maybe he's pretending not to know,"

Perhaps he didn't want to give himself an excuse to kill me? It's possible...

After all, he did say something in the game like, "I really dislike someone blocking my way in the middle of something." It was pure luck that he decided to let me go.

"Or perhaps,..."

I mused aloud, running a finger idly along the edge of the mirror.

"He genuinely can't tell."

I shrugged mentally at this idea; it seemed highly unlikely given how well these two seemed to know each other.

But what if?