(25) The Face Of His Master.

"You..."

The auctioneer must have seen the concern written all over my masked face as I regarded Eckles who just spoke because he quickly tried to distract me. He tossed the girl I had won to me aggressively, apparently unwilling to deal with her tears and resistance.

I gritted my teeth, watching as he callously threw the weeping girl at me like an unwanted burden.

The sight of her sobbing in my arms brought an unexpected surge of protectiveness that caught me off guard. I felt anger rise up within me at the way she had been treated - this poor child forced into such a cruel situation.

"Why are you crying?" I asked softly, trying to calm her down as best as I could under these circumstances.

But my question only seemed to aggravate her further and she began thrashing around, squirming to break free from my grasp.

"Let...let me go!" Her small voice shook with terror and despair. "P-Please don't hurt me!"

My patience wearing thin, I lashed out at him in anger.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I demanded, my voice low and dangerous. The man recoiled under my glare but said nothing as I carefully cradled the child in my arms.

Unable to tolerate her fear and distress anymore, I snapped at the auctioneer for his cruel treatment of slaves.

"You dare throw someone like a piece of trash!" I exclaimed angrily, stepping closer to him as I stood up.

I gently placed the terrified girl down, making sure she was stable enough on her feet without letting go completely. My eyes never left the auctioneer as she hesitantly backed away from us both.

With a swift movement, I grabbed hold of the collar of his outfit and pulled him closer until our faces were mere inches apart.

"You're lucky today,"

I seethed through gritted teeth, hatred dripping from every word.

"That I have mercy left in me."

Before anyone could react or intervene, I delivered a stinging slap across his cheek with all the force behind it.

The echo of my hand connecting resonated through air like thunderclap - shockwaves spreading among those present including Eckles staring at us incredulously.

"Don't forget WHO you're messing with!"

The auctioneer's face contorted in pain and humiliation as blood gushed forth from his nose, soaking into the extravagant material of his clothes. His eyes widened with horror as he staggered back a few steps before collapsing onto the floor.

I ignored the chaos that ensued around us as I picked up the girl once more, wrapping an arm around her shoulders for comfort.

"Shhh," I whispered soothingly. "We're getting out of here."

I glanced at Eckles who seemed equally shocked by my actions but didn't miss how his eyes softened momentarily before hardening back into stoicism.

The servants hastily dragged away their injured boss while another person stepped forward nervously.

"Sir, Lady... please accept our apologies for our colleague's behavior. He will pay dearly for this insolence."

His words rang hollow in light of recent events but it seemed we had little choice but to proceed anyway.

"Continue with the proceedings,"

I commanded coldly before focusing on assuring the frightened girl.

"Hey,.. What's your name, little girl?"