(15) I Hate It.

"You're already leaving? Stay a little bit longer!"

Reluctantly, Reynold pleaded, his voice tinged with disappointment, as he trailed behind me and Derrick, who remained unusually quiet throughout our walk to my carriage.

"Do you know how much has it been since your last visit?!"

I shot him an amused grin over my shoulder as we made our way down the stairs together.

"Come on, Reyn, you know I hate staying cooped up inside for long periods,"

I teased playfully, gesturing towards the open doors leading to fresh air beyond.

Derrick remained quiet, his steps measured and steady beside me.

"Besides,"

I added lightly, attempting humor to lighten the mood slightly, "we should give Lady Penelope some privacy."

"At least promise me you'll return soon, you old party pooper!"

Reynold pleaded one last time with a groan before giving up completely.

I turned back towards him, ruffling his hair affectionately before waving goodbye.

"Promise,"

I called out cheerfully before joining Derrick who waited patiently nearby.

"You're unbelievable,..."

Reynold released a heavy sigh, shaking his head in frustration at me as he blushed lightly before stepping back to allow us passage to the carriage.

... [Interest %36].

As I reached it and climbed aboard, Derrick followed suit with an air of detachment that felt unusual to me.

"Umm,... why are you coming with me?"

Derrick's face was carefully composed when he settled into the carriage seat opposite mine - but his gaze was anything but calm.

"We need to discuss something important,"

he spoke curtly, no trace of warmth or friendliness in his words.

I tilted my head slightly, confused by his cool demeanor.

"Important?"

"Yes,"

he repeated without elaboration, resting his arm on the window sill and staring blankly ahead as if contemplating something serious.

"Pfft-... Hahaha."

I chuckled softly, leaning back in my own seat, trying to break the tension between us.

"Are you done?"

Derrick interrupted me, his patience evidently wearing thin.

I paused momentarily, considering his question before responding with caution.

"Well, not really. I guess there's always more to explore."

I smiled weakly at him, realizing how cryptic my response must have sounded.

Derrick studied me intently for several seconds before looking out the window in silence.