(12) The Eckharts.

With a sigh, I proceeded to plan my day. First things first, I would pay a visit to the Eckharts.

I called for the head butler, demanding that he have a carriage prepared soon.

The head butler bowed, hastening to carry out my orders.

I stood by the window, watching as the carriage was prepared, my thoughts still preoccupied with last night's dream.

Nightmare, to be exact.

It didn't take long for the carriage to arrive, and I stepped inside, giving Hans specific instructions for my schedule.

"Don't let anyone in unless it's urgent."

He nodded, and I knew he'd take care of things while I was gone.

Once inside the carriage, I leaned against the plush cushions, trying to shake off the lingering unease from my dream. The ride to Eckharts' manor was quiet and uneventful, my thoughts turning to the task at hand.

Arriving at the Eckharts' manor, I was greeted by their butler, who led me through the manor.

"Is that okay? That you allowed me in without the permission of the manor's owner?"

As I followed the old butler, I noticed gazes from all directions locking with mine for brief seconds before they looked away. Seems like my visit was unexpected.

The butler chuckled softly.

"Would I go against Lord Eckhart's wishes? Not on my watch,"

he assured me with a warm smile.

"And I've seen your face before many times back in the day - you're the Duke of House Cha, aren't you?"

Narrowing my eyes, I considered his words carefully, not bothering to answer his question.

'Back in the day, huh?'

Thinking about it, I recall seeing him in many of my dreams about the Duke's life.

It appears that the Duke's father - Former Duke to be exact - and Lord Eckhart were friends, and both the Duke, me I suppose, and the Eckhart brothers were childhood friends.

Specifically, I remember they used to hang around together, with me spending time with Derrick and Reynold following along. It was before the Duke even put the mask on.

'It's funny how I can obtain such information solely through dreams,...'

However, there was this one dream I had about this particular butler,...

"How odd, a commoner like you being friends with the Young Master,"

He had said dismissively.

"But don't worry, your luck would change any moment now. And then we'll see how long these friendships will last."