Chapter 7: Time to Hike

The next morning it was better than any of the ones we had had before in the camp. Jungkook surprisingly made a really good breakfast and had literally packed a bit of my stuff.

After we had taken everything out of the tent, he left somewhere. I hadn't even realized he had left because someone I didn't expect to stop by came by our camping spot.

"Tae? Oh my God! Tae!"

I said running to him and wrapping my arms around him. He was about Jungkook's height. His arms wrapped around me and I was snuggled in a warm embrace. I stepped back and smiled brightly at him.

"Hey, y/n."

He said with his cheeky smile that I loved so much. Namjoon was a few trees away with their bags besides him.

"Where have you been? I was worried sick."

Tae wasn't laughing. Or smiling. His smile was gone. Both of his warm eyes slowly widening.

"Y/n, you are sick, aren't you?"

"W-what?"

He frowned looking at me. Sick? I thought I was feeling better this morning...

"What happened, y/n?"

Tae's voice immediately changed tone. It wasn't that soothing deep tone. No. This was far from soothing. This was cold and threatening.

"T-Tae, everything is ok."

"Please, don't lie to me, y/n."

He grabbed my shoulders a bit roughly and looked straight into my eyes. There was something new I had never seen before. There was hatred. Fire. A blazing cruelty that I could never bring to think he could feel this way. Tae was the most loving friend I had ever had and now...

It seemed like I lost him.

I closed my eyes to avoid the intense eye contact. Then, I felt someone wrap a hand around my waist and pull me back and stand before me. I opened one eye and saw Jungkook standing before me eyeing Tae dangerously.

"Leave her alone, Kim Taehyung."

Tae placed his hands inside his pockets and smirked at Jungkook. I was so confused that I didn't dare to peak at the situation anymore. Hearing was simply enough.

"What did you do to her? She's sick."

I felt Jungkook tense a bit. He really hadn't noticed.

Before anyone could say anything else, Namjoon grabbed Tae by the arm and looked at Jungkook.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you. Come on Tae."

"Let go of me! Don't you see? He's going to kill her! Kill her!"

Namjoon dragged him along and from far, you could still hear Tae's screams. I sank in my knees and rested my head on them.

Why had Tae been so rough with me?

Maybe because he cares and is a true friend. Friends don't like to see other friends in pain or sick.

Someone tapped me on the head. I looked up with swollen eyes and saw Jungkook. He was half smiling and looking at me with soft and attentive eyes.

"Are you ok?"

He asked very softly that I almost didn't hear him. It sorts of made my skin curl a bit. My face grew a bit hot. I looked away first-like always-and nodded my head to his question.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"But your face is telling me save me."

His hands reached to hold mine. Jungkook helped me stand up and balance myself. That's when we heard a whistle. All of the students were packed and ready to go to the mountains. Jungkook pulled me to where our stuff was and reached for the bag he gave me as my early birthday present. He pulled out the jacket and helped me put it on. The entire time, I looked at his face.

Had he really regretted his cruel actions towards me? Did he feel guilty for not doing anything about me sleeping outside? Or feeling guilty when he didn't help me ever?

After his careful hands zipped my jacket up, he quickly put on his and hooked his backpack handing me my bags. The school was letting us leave some of our stuff in the bus for when we came back. Everything that you didn't need could be left since we would be hiking only.

After we had dumped our extra bags, we followed the trail of students on the way to the mountains. As we walked, I could already feel the cold air blowing past my face. When I turned to look at Jungkook, that plain expression had returned. His serious and cold expression.

Was it because we were around others?

Finally, we reached this cabin before continuing our trail. The teachers did all the talking. Around, there was people talking endlessly. Some girls were holding on to their boyfriends and stuff. It was really weird. I just stood next to Jungkook. After a long wait, the teachers began to guide us and tell us different directions about our expedition.

"Guys! Listen up!"

Every single pair of eyes was looking at Mrs. Jenks.

"We are going into the mountains. This, like the forest, is a really large area. Now, you all are seniors and should know better than to run around without letting us know. There a lot of people here. Please, just listen to us and enjoy the hiking. Also, it is quiet cold. Make sure to be extra warm."

After they began to walk, Jungkook held me back and waited for some people to walk away. I frowned at him and turn to meet his eyes.

He reached into his backpack and pulled out a pair of black earmuffs and gloves. He handed me the gloves while he placed the earmuffs on my head.

"We don't want you to die along the way. Carrying you is worse than staring a new hardcore ab set."

Once we were both bundled enough to Jungkook's taste, we caught up with the others and began to hike.