27 • Snow White

Start from the beginning

Half a lie.

He bought it, his eyes relaxed. «Oh, yeah, how's that been?», he asked, glancing to Snape who was busy scolding a student for running in the hall.

«Umm», I hummed, «as to be expected. Tedious. But graduation is in just a few months, so I'll live».

Pike chuckled, «I'm glad I don't have to. Well, see you later then».

I nodded and walked off, heading towards the Professor. It didn't take long for him to notice me, his expression changing just a little. I hoped to God no one noticed. Even a subtle change in that man was to be mysterious and perhaps concerning.

I didn't know why, but the only thing that escaped my lips when I came closer was, «hi».

The arching of his brow made my legs tingle. «Miss Lovegood», he acknowledged me. His eyes dipped quickly and returned, a sense of guilt flickering in the darkness of his orbs. I glared at him in warning.

Act normal, I hissed at him in my mind. His jaw tensed.

«I need a word», I said, offering a polite smile as another student walked past.

Snape nodded slowly, «very well».

-

The walk to his office had been a little awkward. I wasn't sure if it was me or him, or the both of us being weird.

We hadn't touched in nearly a month. The thought of him had occupied my mind a few times at night, though, not going to lie.

He closed the door behind him, having let me in first. Instead of darting for his desk like he usually did, he stood quietly in front of the door.

«So», I breathed, feeling uneasy. He was a perceptive man, and I knew he was attempting to crack the case before I even got to say anything.

«So?», he drawled, looking down at me as if I had just stolen from his storage.

I cleared my throat, «I think this was a mistake. I mean, I made a mistake thinking it was a good idea. I think it has to stop».

Colour drained from his face, but otherwise he managed to seem unaffected. «And what makes you say that?», he asked, his voice deep and unsettling.

«I think», I paused and then sighed, «this was meant to be purely professional. But I think that you-»

«That I what?», he snapped unexpectedly, but remained calm. The memory of him slapping me that one time circled back to me, so I took a step backwards.

«If you'd let me finish you'd get the answer to that», I hissed back, «what I mean to say is that I think that maybe you've developed feelings-»

Snape huffed, as if I had greatly offended him and he went for his desk. He had never been easy to talk to. Most of the time he was just so good at making people feel like they were wasting his precious time.

«So I'm wrong?», I asked, trailing after him, «you don't feel anything?»

«Ridiculous», he murmured, picking up jars with new ingredients that stood lined up at his desk. I watched as he went to place them on his shelves.

«So at the party, when-»

Snape stopped what he was doing and turned to me, «Mr. Malfoy isn't someone you should be around, let alone be by yourself with».

I clenched my hands, «can't you hear yourself?»

He put the last jar down while keeping eye contact, «what do you mean?». His voice was cold. It was nothing like the Severus I'd come to know in our... intimate moments.