022| in. out.

22| in

22| in. out.
『"She's a tough kid."
"She is."』

+

"I need some fresh air." Sabrina said, finally peeling her hand out of Daryl's grasp. For the past half hour, she'd watch Frankie remain deathly still and an overwhelming sense of nausea overtook her. Things were not looking up. 

"You want me to come with?" Daryl asked her, watching as the woman slowly unwound herself from the fetal position she rested in. He wanted to be there for her, to provide comfort when she needed it. Sabrina shook her head, biting her lip as she stood. 

"No, stay with her please." Sabrina said, carefully stepping around the bed. "Holler if..." 

Holler if what?  Holler if she wakes up? Holler if she needs me? Holler if she starts to die? The words died on the tip of her tongue as her gaze fell over her sister. She bit her lip once more, Daryl was convinced if she bit any harder she'd draw blood. 

"I'll grab ya if she needs ya." Daryl said the words she couldn't bring herself to say. He bit his thumbnail as his gaze fell back to Frankie. Daryl loved that little girl more than anything, she needed to pull through. His stomach twisted at the idea that she might not wake up. Sabrina took one last ginger look at Frankie and Daryl before fleeing from the room desperate for an escape.

Sabrina exited through the front door of the house, brushing by Maggie Greene as she did. The woman offered her a sad smile as she welcomed the cool night air with open arms  to combat the anxiety in her chest. She forced herself to take heavy breaths, filling her lungs to the brim with the crisp air before letting out a shuddering exhale. The woman was suffocating within the house, there were too many eyes watching her; waiting for the moment she'd break. She didn't blame them, not one bit. Breaking in this situation was inevitable, and it was coming hard and fast. 

Her sobs shook through her once more. Her hands shook and her breath was unsteady. In. Out. She forced the air to enter her lungs. It was sharp, like needles punctured her throat with each intake. In. Out. One gasping breath after another. Her fingernails dug into her palms. Leaving tiny crescent indentions in their wake. Her hands shook as she took another step forwards. In. Out. 

Taking a seat on the front step, Sabrina looked up at the night sky through tearful eyes. With no lights from the city or streetlights, the stars twinkled brightly. It reminded her of nearly every good memory she ever had. Memories where her family was whole. Each of them crammed together in one tent staring through the open flap in the ceiling. In a matter of days, her family was dwindling down one by one. She stared to the sky, willing whatever force was out there to keep her sister alive. 

"Please." She whispered her voice unsteady, curling her hands together. She then proceeded to rest her head on her begging fists hitting her forehead against them, willing someone to hear her. "Please, just keep my little girl safe."