012| it's a free country

Sabrina sat shoulder to shoulder with Frankie. Her black tank top was absorbing heat like no other and sweat dripped down the front of her chest. Daryl, eyed her warily wondering how the hell he'd convince her to stay here. He didn't want her going to Atlanta. No matter how much she argued with him she needed to be here, where he knew she was safe. The man could hear Shane and Rick discussing the logistics of the plan to save Merle from that dreaded rooftop in Atlanta. 

"Why would you risk your life for a douchebag like Merle Dixon?" Shane spoke, approaching Rick quickly. The two former police stood in front of the two friends. It was quite the contrast.

"Hey choose your words more carefully." Daryl snapped at Shane, throwing some kindling in the fire that sat underneath a large pot. 

"Oh I did, douche bag's what I meant." Shane confirmed, giving the youngest Dixon a estranged look. "Merle Dixon, the guy wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst." 

Frankie frowned at the words. Merle had done plenty of things for the girl growing up. Things that included giving her a glass of water when she couldn't quite reach the sink of their trailer. She knew the man was a lot to handle but didn't quite grasp why the rest of the group had such a dislike towards the man. 

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me." Rick said, the goodness in his heart shining through. "I can't let a man die of thirst. Me. Thirst and exposure. We left him like an animal, that's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being."

"So you and Daryl?" Lori asked. "That's your big plan."

Daryl had taken a seat next to Sabrina and handed the woman his red handkerchief. She took it gratefully and wiped the sweat that formed on her brow and pooled at the base of her neck. Daryl, naturally followed the woman's movements as he did with everything that pertained the redhead. 

"Nah, I'm goin' too." Sabrina said and Daryl looked at the redhead with a bewildered look. "What? Merle is my family too. As much of a pain in the ass as he is." 

"No." Daryl said focusing his attention on the red head.  He refused to entertain any answer other than that. 

"What do you mean no?" Sabrina asked, the two were so close their foreheads were nearly touching. The world around them ceased to exist as they began to speak in soft but stern tones. That's how it always was between the two. 

"You ain't going to 'lanta" Daryl told her, very matter of factly. Sabrina glowered at the man. 

"Well why not?" Sabrina asked, quirking an eyebrow. She was stubborn as hell, something Daryl always seemed to love but right now it was a bit irritating. It was a matter of her safety, she'd never been put in a position that Atlanta would put her in. Daryl had encountered a few of the geeks up in the woods while he was hunting, he didn't want Sabrina to freeze out there due to some kind of shock. The risk was too great. 

"Frankie. Who's gonna watch her?" Daryl quipped back right away. Yet, what he really wanted to say is I love you and I don't want you to be put in a position where you'd be in danger. That seemed a little too forward though so he scrapped that. 

"I can watch myself." Frankie chimed in over her shoulder, Daryl watched as another head of red hair was staring holes into the side of  his head. "I'm twelve." 

"Lori'll watch her." Sabrina said, ignoring Frankies remark. The youngest Rhodes frowned at that, slumping back down on the log she sat on. Daryl looked at his best friend, trying to muster up any courage to tell her that he couldn't lose her in the process of getting his brother back. 

"Why you wanna go anyways?" Daryl questioned, his jaw set. Sabrina tensed at that, because I love you and I want to know that if you go out there you'll come back. I need you to come back, I need to know someone will have your back and not leave you stranded alone.