009| just fine officer

The late summer sun scorched Sabrina's pale shoulders. Her tank top was drenched with sweat as she sat by the edge of the lake dunking one of Daryl's sleeveless shirts into the water. She rung the thing out, twisting the fabric tightly before unwinding it and laying it out on one of the rocks beside her. 

This was her new life, the undead were walking around like they owned the place and Sabrina was back to doing basic household chores. Daryl and Merle would hunt or fish, bringing the group fresh meat for the night. They found safety in numbers, meeting multiple people on the highway who had the same idea as them. Get the hell out of there before they started bombing them next. 

"Sabrina," Frankie groaned loudly, flinging one of her own shirts that was sopping wet next to Daryl's. She watched as water raced down the rock. 

"Wring it out more baby," Sabrina chastised softly. "It'll take forever to dry, it's still drippin' wet." 

Frankie grumbled something under her breath and Sabrina looked at her baby sister for a moment before letting out a long sigh. She took the basket of clothes belonging to the members in their immediate group and put it closer to her. It was obvious that Frankie wasn't going to wash the clothes properly today. Not that Daryl or Merle cared, but it gave Sabrina peace of mind, knowing they hadn't lost their entire sense of normality. 

"Why don't you go up there with the other kiddos." Sabrina suggested. "I can take care of the rest of the chores." 

"Are you sure?" Frankie asked, she didn't wanna do her chores, but she also didn't wanna leave Sabrina to do it all by herself. She didn't like using her sister's kindness. 

"I'm sure." Sabrina said, laughing. Her head tilted back gently and the sun's golden rays of light caught her red hair just right. She grab another shirt, Merle's this time, and dunked it into the lake. "Don't make me change my mind. Just tell Daryl to get his butt down here and carry up his clothes for me." 

"Yes ma'am." Frankie said, saluting her sister and scrambling up the path that led to the main camp. Sabrina watched her sister's eagerness with a smile, making sure she got safely back up to camp before focusing her attention on the laundry once more. 

Frankie, on the other hand was red in the face as she finished running up that hill. Her skin was so red, a mixture of sunburn and exhausting herself, that it matched the hair on top of her head. The young girl moved it all onto one side, huffing when it clung to the back of her neck with sweat. She'd have to ask Sabrina to braid it later. 

Daryl was sitting in an old green lawn chair next to Merle when she approached him. His gruff features softened when he noticed the twelve year old standing in front of him. The girl's hands where placed on her hips and foot tapping impatiently. 

"Sabrina told me to come get ya." Frankie said staring down at the man. He had a cigarette hanging from his lip, it wasn't lit right now but it would be soon. "She's gonna be mad when she sees ya smokin'." 

"I ain't smoking," Daryl told the fierce girl. He grabbed the carton from his shirt pocket, and stuffed the unlit smoke back inside. 

"Mhmm." Frankie said, crossing her arms in satisfaction. The young girl was growing to be more of a pain in the ass than Sabrina was, always thinking she knew best. She learned it from the best though. 

"She say what she wanted?" Daryl asked, standing up and adjusting his buck knife on his hip. Frankie simply shrugged before running off. The redneck watched her go, leaving him in the dust without remorse. "Damn kid." 

"Kid's got you tied around her finger." Merle spoke from beside him, a chuckle leaving his lips. "When are you gonna man up and tell Sabrina you wanna take her to pound town."