005| empty folgers can, empty formula tin

Dressed in a deep green velvet gown, Sabrina stared at herself in the mirror

Dressed in a deep green velvet gown, Sabrina stared at herself in the mirror. Tonight was Prom and in a month and a half she'd walk the stage at graduation. Daryl had walked the year prior and he'd gotten a job at the local mechanics to make some money full time. He was still living next door, and every morning before work he'd drive her to school in that beat up pick-up truck, just as he had been doing since she started going to Mountain Grove.

They were so close. Her shifts at the local diner were bringing in more money than she could've ever hoped for, and on top of moving out it would eventually allow for her to enroll in some courses at the local community college. She had nearly a thousand dollars saved up. It was kept under the floorboards by her dresser, stuffed into an old tin of Folgers. She didn't dare keep it anywhere that wasn't hidden. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do with her life yet, but she knew that her and Daryl couldn't be limited to this small little town.

A knock on the bedroom door broke Sabrina from her thoughts and dreams. She wiped her hands on the soft texture, smoothing out the dress to calm her nerves.

"Come in." Sabrina said, and the door cracked open to reveal her mother's worn face. Her parents had been on good terms recently, but Sabrina knew better than to think this would last long. Eventually the other shoe would drop and it would be right back to their regularly scheduled shit show. Fresh bruises would soon liter her mothers pale skin, and screams would echo through the walls.

It had been a long time since Sabrina had given up hope on changing her mother's mind, to rescue her from the kind of abuse he received. As sad as the fact was, Sabrina's mother was lost. It would take more than her husband attacking his own child and the screaming, crying, and pleading that Sabrina offered at a young age to get her mother to leave. The part of her that was sympathetic had died a long time ago, she needed to block that emotion out or she'd get stuck here too.

"Oh, look at you." Her mother said softly, bringing her hands to her face. "Don't you just look beautiful."

"Thank you." Sabrina said tensely. Her red hair was pinned up in an updo, with a few strands pulled out to frame her face.

"I'm sure Daryl will think so too." Her mother spoke before sitting down on the bed. She patted the empty space next to her, beckoning Sabrina to sit as well.

"Daryl is just a friend." Sabrina reminded her mother for the thousandth time. Even if that wasn't how she felt towards the boy. It wasn't uncommon for people to think that her and Daryl were an item. It just simply came with the territory of being best friends with the opposite sex.

"Listen, I've got some news to share with you." Her mother said cautiously, as if testing the waters to see what Sabrina's mood was like. That's probably why she came in now, knowing that she'd be floating on a cloud with the upcoming dance. "But don't worry, it's good news."

"What is it?" Sabrina asked, worriedly. Her mothers definition of good news and Sabrina's definition of good news were vastly different. Last time her mother had offered good news they'd moved halfway across the country to this little shitbox of a house.