CHAPTER 10

𝐊𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐊 looks at her and gulp. She was shivering hard and now her screaming was getting so loud which made Karthik gasp.

He walks hears her and sits on the blanket on the floor near her, "No... It hurts uncle no" She suddenly screams in bed as Karthik just hugs her tightly... Something comes to his mind that reminds him of something again.

"S-Sitara!" he mumbles silently as Maya just hugs him back lays her head on his chest and cries hard while still closing her eyes.

The way now Maya is hugging him reminds him of his past. Maybe some person he knew in his past.

"He will hurt me... No one will protect me" Maya cries as she grabs his shirt tightly.

Karthik was just lost in his thoughts. He starts sweating hard, his eyes get teary...

"No... No one will hurt you!" Karthik said with an ensured tone.

The person he hates the most in this world is now hugging him tightly and crying on his shoulders. He looks down at Maya and sighs.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘, Karthik walks down to the kitchen and sees his mom cooking, his mind is full of last night, and he doesn't know the reason why she was crying and talking while sleeping.

Karthik walks near his mom sits on the kitchen counter and yawns. He saw Ahvi also helping her grandmother with some cooking. As it is the weekend, his brothers and sisters-in-law will wake up only late.

"What's special today amma? Need any help from me?" Karthik asked as Ahvi gave him some onion and a plate with a knife.

"Cut it nicely," She said as Karthik chuckled, "Okay madam!" he said with a soft smile on his face, admiring the cuteness of his niece.

Time skip, Maya wakes up sits straight, and looks around, her eyes were puffy and red from last night. She looked at the door and saw Karthik walk into the room.

Karthik looks at her and walks to the bathroom with his towel and clothes. Maya walked downstairs and saw Seetha sitting on the couch while drinking coffee with her husband Nataraja.

She walks near them and sits on the couch beside Seetha. "Good morning, love," Seetha said with a warm smile.

"Your eyes are puffy. What happened?" her father-in-law asked, "Oh it's nothing" She smiled and looked at them.

Time skip, after 3 months later. Maya was looking at the calendar, smiling at herself and blushing. Next week on Wednesday is their 1st wedding anniversary. She was recently thinking about a gift for him.

Suddenly Karthik gets into the room with a fake cough to get her attention. She suddenly panicked and looked back at him with fear in her eyes.

She doesn't know why she is feeling this. Karthik looks at her weirdly and walks near her. "You look scared," He said.

"N-No, No," She said as she looked away from his eyes to avoid eye contact.

"I can see it in your eyes, you look scared like you saw a ghost?" Karthik said while wearing his shirt.

"Nothing... Nothing!" Maya said as she walked out of the room.

Maya walked to the kitchen and saw his mom cooking, she ran near her and sat on the kitchen counter.

"Amma?" She called out as Seetha looked at her. "What is Karthik's favorite thing?" She asked.

"Karthik?..." She looks at her and thinks for a while. "He likes anything useful to him!"

"Useful."

Maya thinks for a while and smiles at herself.

"Do you need any help, Amma?"

"No... Cooking is almost done" Seetha smiles.

Maya looks at her phone to check her bank balance. The bank balance has enough money to buy him a shirt and pants.

"Ahvi... What is his favorite color?" She asked.

"Red was his favorite color... But now for 2 years, he has been wearing black and white!"

"Red!" she repeats herself.

Maya got up and walked out from her room to their bedroom and saw Karthik looking at his phone.

"Karthik?"

He looked back at her and nodded.

"Yes, need anything?" He asked in a cold tone.

"uhm... Next Tuesday is our wedding anniversary... Appa said that we both needed to take leave that day for a celebration." She said in a soft tone.

"I am not planning to celebrate it! I hate that day, to be honest!" He said in a casual tone.

That word hits her like thunder... She thought that he changed... But he didn't. Then what was that past few days or months... He was acting nice, so nice to her.

"B-But appa said that" She looked down as he groaned.

"I will talk to him," He said as he got up.