036 ≈ Plot Armor? We Only Know Shinazugawa's Ohagi

I'm publishing this on my birthday, so happy birthday to me!

This chapter's fanart is by iridescentxmist and it's a short comic posted in their artbook, so check it out! It's very cute (am I biased because Muichiro is in it? ... maybe).

___

In any other circumstance, you thought you'd be pretty happy with your situation. Kokushibo was definitely one of your favorite demons and spending time with him in this universe — by itself — is great! Vibey, in fact! Only immediate death most certainly awaited you at the end of this.

See, you were, in all aspects, still a rookie slayer. Kokushibo was an old boy. He'd met and probably killed at least fifty times more slayers than you have demons, and this was you low-balling the estimate. It would take multiple miracles for you to even survive a fight against him. He knew exactly who you were. So now you were role-playing as a good-natured demon slayer doing her Samaritan duty of helping a civilian to his destination.

Never thought I'd be role-playing like this.

You glanced at Kokushibo, who was staring straight ahead. Initially, you weren't sure if taking him to crowded streets was a good idea because if he decided to fight, he could kill a lot of people and that would not be good. However, it seemed like he was trying to stay undercover because even when people stumbled into him, he didn't flinch, just brushing them aside and waiting for you while you helped them up. You figured that he was prioritizing looking for Tamayo, so he didn't care about these humans.

What do I do later? Should I try stalling until sunrise? What if he comes to Asakusa when I'm not here?

"We're here." His voice cut through your thoughts. Before you'd realized, the two of you had reached the area where you'd told him Tamayo used to stay. Luckily, nothing here looked familiar, so you were sure you led him somewhere away from her current residence.

"Yeah . . . " You examined all the buildings around you. You weren't sure what to do now. Fighting was out of the question. All the people around you would get caught in the crossfire and you'd most likely be one-shotted.

"Where was she?"

"Give me a second, I'm trying to remember."

This was far from the places your friends were meant to patrol, so hopefully they don't come here. When you glanced at Kokushibo, he was already looking at you, his previously passive face slightly changing with his eyebrows discretely furrowing.

You looked down the road and noticed that after another block, the street opened up and the number of buildings decreased. You could take him there and then try to isolate him. Then look around, see that Tamayo wasn't there, and send him on his way.

"It was a little way down that street." You pointed in the direction, "I think it might've been one of the buildings or a tent or something."

He looked at you in confusion. "A . . . what?"

You blinked and then remembered that he was not used to you speaking English and that you don't know the Japanese word for tent. "Um . . . like a . . . thing . . . " The good ol' charades tactic came in clutch as you used your arms to make a triangle over your head. "You put it outside and sleep in it, you know?"

He stared at you and you felt very self-conscious. "Hmm." was his only response. You sighed and just started walking. The sooner this guy left the city, the sooner you'd relax.