018 ≈ (Y/N) And Touma Versus Chopsticks

Slightly longer chapter. I'll be traveling for the next month, so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to update for the next couple of weeks. 

———

The two of you ducked into a rather wide alley (so Bearnice could fit. It was most definitely not because you wanted to avoid all cliches and tropes which included being in an unnecessarily close space for literally no reason), waiting until the sun had set before you went to the rooftops. Touma had already caused a scene with his noodles and you caused a scene with Bearnice, so you couldn't exactly lay low and sneak around at this point.

While you were waiting, you formally introduced Touma to Bearnice. He seemed to be an animal lover, so he had no problems petting and showing her affection. Bearnice liked him too, so it didn't get weirdly awkward. He also taught you a couple of hand games he used to play with his siblings so you passed the rest of the time playing.

When the sun started to set, the two of you climbed to the top of a building so you could get a better view. As Touma gazed over the town, slipping on his custom-made gauntlets (you had to mention that they looked cool as shit) looking all protagonist-like, you slipped your belt off with a clatter and started doing stretches.

"When do you think the demon would turn up?" You asked him, squatting on one leg with the other stretched out. A sudden thought made you snort. "Imagine we stay up the entire night but they never turn up."

As you stood up, you noticed a bead of sweat on his temple.

Is he really that nervous? I was only joking.

"Hey," You said, putting a hand on his shoulder. He jumped before turning his head to you. "We'll be fine."

"Yeah." He vigorously nodded his head. "Obviously, ahaha."

He's not okay.

You sighed. "Alright, then. Let's get going."

After instructing Bearnice to remain where she was until you came back to get her, you buckled your belt back on and the two of you started walking on the rooftops of the houses trying to look for any sign of a demon. Since it was nighttime, you could see people closing shops and entering their houses for the night. Probably because of the recent disappearances, you could hear many people hammering boards in front of the doors to stop intruders.

You stopped above a particular house. From the open window, you could see two young children, both of them boys. When you saw someone approaching the window, you ducked, hiding in the shadows of the building. It seemed to be their father lecturing them about something while closing the window. You put your hand to your chin, pondering about what to do now.

"We'll split up for now," You stated.

"Split up?"

"We can find the demon faster that way. But if you do, don't try to fight it alone. Just yell for me to find you and I'll come to you. I'll do the same."

He nodded. "That sounds fine." Touma gave you a small wave before taking off.

Why does it feel like what just happened was for plot convenience? You shrugged it off. At least I'm not getting any bad feelings so it should be fine. We're smart enough not to end up like people in horror movies.

From where you were watching him leave, Touma seemed to trip on something, faceplanting on the roof.

. . . We'll be fine.