017 ≈ Taisho Era's Very First Semi-Functional Gaydar

Masamune left soon after the spar, thanking you and Tanjiro for showing him how the blades looked in battle. Tanjiro told him there was no problem and you didn't reply because you were busy trying to figure out whether Tanjiro would be mad if you told him you were holding back a little because you didn't want to see him get too hurt.

"Please don't be afraid to contact me in the future when you want your swords repaired!" Masamune yelled as walked down the mountain. "I'll be sure to make it even better than before!"

You waved back. "SURE!"

Eh . . . To be honest, I'm a little scared of breaking them.

You shuddered, an old memory of Urokodaki threatening to break your bones coming to mind.

When Masamune disappeared from view, that's when it hit you.

"I'm going to be leaving soon," You muttered, Tanjiro turning to you.

"What did you say?" He asked, tilting his head.

"I'm going to be leaving soon," You said again so he understood. Tanjiro's eyes widened slightly before he nodded.

"Oh, yeah." Then he smiled and grabbed your hand, pulling you back inside the house. "We'll have a meal first! Afterward, you can get ready to leave." He flushed slightly as he said, "I want to have one more meal together before you go."

You nodded, feeling a small smile on your face.

"Okay."

Urokodaki had made another feast similar to the one when they sent you off to the Final Selection. It was hotpot again, but you weren't arguing.

"HeEhEeHee," You giggled as you watched the broth boil above the fire, rocking back and forth as you waited. When the food was ready and you held out a bowl, Urokodaki took it from you, filled it up, and kept it to the side. You reached for it and he moved it away.

Are we going to do a Master Shifu and Po skit?

You cracked your knuckles.

"I'm ready," You muttered, staring at the bowl of food. Urokodaki stared back at you.

"Um, (Y/N) — " Tanjiro started but you didn't hear him, lunging for the bowl of food that Urokodaki swiftly moved away. You spun around and tried again, this time seeing your teacher kick it up as you almost ran straight into the wall had Tanjiro not been there to catch you. Urokodaki then proceeded to smoothly catch the falling bowl without spilling a drop of broth.

That'd be cooler if it wasn't my food.

You tried to wiggle out of his grip without hurting him but it was impossible with the way his arms clamped onto you.

"(Y/N), he's just waiting for it to cool down so you don't burn your tongue like last time," Tanjiro said in your ear, making you freeze.

"Really?" You asked and he nodded. Now feeling stupid again, you sagged in Tanjiro's arms, sighing to yourself. "I'm dumb."

"That you are," You heard Sabito's voice but didn't turn to look for him.

"Fuck off, man," You muttered, "I don't need your negativity."

Tanjiro let you go and you sat beside the fire, eyeing the bowl beside Urokodaki. Just as Tanjiro predicted, after another minute, Urokodaki gave your bowl back to you.