011 ≈ (Y/N)'s Badassness In Another Point Of View

Nakayama Touma had thought that he was pretty strong. His teacher had multiple students, and he was the only one who managed to diligently learn all forms of Stone Breathing. Usually, the techniques were made to be used with a flail and ax, as his teacher had done, but Touma had no talent in learning those, so he just stuck with his fists and feet, wearing spiked gauntlets and shoes.

That limited the use of his techniques and would make it much harder to face demons who utilize Blood Demon Arts, but he would get stronger by the time he faced them so it wouldn't matter.

Once he got his teacher's permission to attend the Final Selection, he was feeling pretty confident. Even when sparring against his fellow students, no one ever managed to beat him. It was a shame that he would become a slayer before the people he considered his siblings since he wanted them all to go on missions together, but if he was given a chance to take revenge on the demons who killed his entire family, then it was okay with him.

Touma's first thought of the Final Selection was that there were many kids like him. Scars on their faces and haunted looks in their eyes.

Some of them threw him strange glances, looking at the gauntlets on his feet before looking away. He humphed, crossing his arms and looking away.

These are much more efficient. I don't have to worry about them breaking while I'm punching the demon's head off.

Touma noticed two people. The first one was a rather cute boy with a scar across his cheek and big eyes that reminded him of a deer.

I hope he survives.

Then he noticed a foreign girl coming up the stairs. He'd noticed her specifically because one, she was wearing a kitsune mask in a very strange way, and two, she was the only one who didn't look like she was ready to throw away her life. In fact, she looked like she was ready to go to the ends of the Earth for the opportunity to become stronger. To others, it may seem like a strange first impression, but not to him.

He was just the same as her anyway.

Should I introduce myself to her? Then he shook his head. What if she dies during the Final Selection? I don't want to put myself through that. If she survives until the end, then I'll introduce myself.

Touma, of course, had no doubt that he would survive until the end. Hopefully, he'd take down quite a few demons on the way.

He'd noticed the foreign girl going to a tree and falling asleep by its base. He shrugged off his curiosity and waited for the two children at the front to start the Final Selection, figuring that she would wake up in time for that. However, even when they started it and the other children ran to the mountain, the girl didn't wake up.

I'm not going to spend time trying to wake her up. If she hasn't woken up until now, then it's her problem.

Or so he thought until he remembered his teacher's words.

"You shouldn't be so selfish, Touma," His teacher lightly scolded him, her finger poking his forehead. "It's always best to help out fellow demon slayers. You never know who you're going to end up partnering up with on missions and it's just better to have more of us fighting against the demons."

"That's true, but what if they're weak, so they drag me down? Should I still consider them a slayer if all they do is prevent me from killing demons efficiently?"

"At the very least, if you don't see merit in them being a slayer, think of them as a normal civilian who picked up the sword. As demon slayers, our duty is to protect the civilians from the demons, so you should protect that person as well."