021 ≈ A Chaotic But Anticlimatic Sort-Of-Climax

I don't really like this chapter. Maybe I'll change it later. This was written before the poll finished but since it's just a continuation of the last chapter, I won't include it as a part of the chapters that take place before the main plot.

This is the final part of the triple update, so read Chapters 19 and 20 before this.

———

At the first sign of light, the three of you woke up to Sora's obnoxious cawing.

"CAW! HURRY UP AND GET READY! YOU MUST FIND THE DEMON TODAY!"

"What's her problem?" Ren grumbled as he rolled over, his hair sticking up everywhere and he covered his face with his arm. "It's not even sunrise yet."

"It is," You replied, groggily blinking at the barest rays of light, getting ready for the day. Bearnice woke up just as you were strapping your swords to your waist. She grunted, seeing the three of you up and about. Rising to her feet, she gave you and Sayuri an affectionate nudge with her snout before curling up around the remnants of the fire and going back to sleep.

Sayuri smiled, a happy look in her eyes. Ren huffed in the background.

The three of you made your way to the entrance of the village. Despite it being rather early, there were quite a few people around going about their day, small vegetable stalls opening, a few children poking their heads out of their houses, and a group of three women going to the north, where the haunted marsh was.

Should we . . . should we be stopping them?

Those women seemed nervous, one of them looking quite anxious, but the other two tried to hide it better. Ren noticed the same thing, moving forward when Sayuri grabbed his arm, shaking her head.

"What do you mean 'no'?" He asked, gesturing to the women and back. "They're going to where those ghosts are. We're demon slayers, so it's better for us to go with them." She shook her head again before letting go of Ren, moving to the women herself.

You were quiet as you watched her approach them, giving them a small smile. She started gesturing with her hands, pointing in the direction of the marsh and making the 'what's that?' gesture. The women exchanged glances between each other, looking concerned before replying, Sayuri nodding to their words. Then she bowed in thanks and made her way back to the two of you. She pointed to the rising sun, to the north, then crossed her arms in an X form.

"Oh, so the ghosts in the marsh don't turn up in the mornings?" Sayuri nodded.

Woah, that's impressive.

"Should we go back up then?" You suggested.

"Let's ask around a little more. We need to find out when exactly these attacks started."

"What would they tell us though? Yesterday, people barely even looked at us."

"You're right . . . " The two of you fell silent, you put your hand to your chin and the three of you thought for a few minutes.

Sayuri was the first one who thought of an idea. She held her hands out like she was hammering something. Then she pulled at her cheeks, forming wrinkles under her eyes and making her look like an old woman.

"Oh!" You exclaimed, "Are you talking about that old man from yesterday?" She nodded and Ren hummed.

"That's true, he was helpful. He might give us more information."