Witch

ENZO POV:

Standing in the clearing is a witch who looks like she is from a time long forgotten yet with slightly more modern attire. She is wearing a headdress that is made up of animal skins and horns, she wore what appeared to be trousers also made of animal skins, they were faded and torn, her top was decorated in feathers, bones, and beads that just covered her breasts. She was tall and muscular. Her raven black hair was filled with a mass of feathers intwined in her hair. Her beady black eyes were unnerving as though she could see my very soul. Her presence is unexpected, and it is making my Deamon nervous.

"She is a powerful priestess, we must be careful how we speak with her, it would be as simple as snapping her fingers to turn us all into mosquitos." Greyson tells me.

"Thanks for telling me what I can see for myself, anything useful to add." I snark at him, sometimes I wonder how after all this time why he is my Deamon. I hear him huff at the thought and I clear my throat.

"Well met priestess, how may we help you?"

"Have not hear common in long times." She spoke in broken common. It was clear common was not used much for her; I wonder what tongue would be more beneficial then. I knew hundreds of them. I just hoped that I know the right one. Before I can finish my thought Jade steps forward and starts firing off questions at the witch. I can actually hear Greyson roll his eyes. He is very fond of Jade, but she has a temper to match that fiery red hair.

"Are you the ones we are looking for, the ones who have information about the lost city. We have found many abandoned old villages, were they yours."

"You not here little one." She said in her very broken common. I had to ease the tensions this could cause. I really do not want to be turned into a bug.

"At least if she turns us into a mosquito we will still be able to eat!" Greyson chuckles in my head. Oh, the sense of humor he has. I pull myself together and look towards the priestess who is openly staring Jade down.

"It sounds to me priestess that common is not easy for you is there a tongue that would be?" The priestess smiles and then speaks in a language I have not heard in at least a millennium.

"Do you know the tongue of the old sages?" I was puzzled for a moment it was difficult to find the right tone to answer.

"Yes, I believe I can speak with this good enough" I answer her. Hoping I did not blunder with my words or tone. She smiles at me, and then asks me questions about why we are here, why I am with Ember and Jade. Where Jade is from and how she got here. I translating to Ember and Jade ensuring I leave nothing out so that they are fully aware of what this witch is asking. It took almost the entire morning. By the end of it we had learned that the coven has been in the forest for a couple millennium, and they do always move if humans find them. It is the safest way for them to remain hidden. There were times before when humans would find them and then come back to kill the coven.

Her coven has kept tabs on us for a few days, and I can tell Jade is not happy to hear that. As a wolf it makes her uncomfortable not to know what or who is around. Ember just looks bemused by the conversation, and the witch herself. As it comes closer to lunch time, I ask the priestess why she is just now appearing to us, and she explains that a vision has brought her to us to aid in our journey. I was shocked to hear this. I probed further about the vision and Ember really perked up when I translated the information.

The priestess told me that she would guide us to her coven, and there we would be granted an audience with their oldest crone to speak about the lost city. After I told Jade and Ember, Jade started to fire questions at the priestess again regarding the lost city, and I could tell she did not like the situation at all. She was one who had endured so much hardship in such a tiny amount of time. She was stronger than she knew, mentally and physically. I just reached out my hand and drew her back towards me and told her that we would get answers soon and that we should pack up our stuff to follow the priestess.

As we packed up our gear, we spoke in soft voices about the situation and what the ramifications could be if this was a trap. Jade and Callisto were on edge. This whole situation revolves around her, and her not being from this realm. I know she feels she shoulders the responsibility of this mission. It is as much hers as it is mine and as it is Embers. We are in this together. The Priestess just stands at the edge of our camp and watches our interactions and us packing up. It is slightly unnerving how still she is.

When I stood and was about to speak to the priestess she snapped her eyes to me and mumbled some words and then spoke.

"To reach our village we must be transported via majic."

I told Ember and Jade what she said, and I could tell it made Jade very nervous. Jade is not familiar with witches nor is she familiar with majic. I have used it my whole life, and Fae also tend to have some majic to them as well. Ember talks to Jade about the logistics and how it will feel. Jade still looks hesitant but nods her head. I tell the priestess we are ready, and the transport mist surrounds us. Moments later we are on the edge of a fairly large bustling village.

©2023 Lisa Enstrom / @JadeFyre2018. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without written permission from the author. This body of work is available exclusively on Wattpad. If you are viewing it on a different website or platform under a different username or title, it has been illegally stolen, and you may even be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing is hard work and effort on the original author's part. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author know if you have encountered this situation by finding me @JadeFyre2018