Chapter 53: The Original Whistle

Raindrops fell fast.

Bullets from Naomi, Kovak, Halle, the renegade Elite soldiers, Sky's friends, and Alistair's weapons cut the air even faster.

But none were fast enough to match Mrs Evergreen's swords and Sky's forefinger on the trigger of his sonic gun.

The sonic blast from Sky's weapon collided against the crossed blades protecting the evil CEO's face and chest. A deafening, loud clang reverberated in the air across miles. The swords went spiralling away from her grasp. The sonic wave changed course and split into different directions, hitting rocks and earth far away.

But by the time the blades reached the ground, Mrs Evergreen was already smirking and pushing her body into a contorted fantasy worth the praise of professional acrobatic dancers and circus performers to dodge the bullets which were soaring in the air towards her. Over two dozen bullets wheezed past her as her mind-bending moves allowed her to miss a premature death.

All faces but hers went paler. Jaws dropped in bafflement.

Sky scoffed and aimed at her once more as the woman bent forward and aimed her defying eyes at him. This is surreal! If she can move this fast, that means none of them can shoot and hit her. I'm not sure whether they can even see her moving at this mind-blowing speed. I can, with my drug-enhanced super vision. But that means I'm alone with her on the battlefield—except for...

When she started to sprint towards him, a massive body sprang right between them, casting a long shadow on his back.

"Not so fast, Evergreen," Alistair said in a grave voice.

"Dad!" Sky yelled, his eyes wide open in shock.

Her feet stopped abruptly on the muddy ground. "I knew it. You can't help it, can you?" She chuckled. "You must protect your hatchling at all costs. What makes you think you can pose a threat to me?"

"The Lifebringer you forced on me," he replied with venom in his voice. "I'll drop my shotgun. I want to prove how strong I can be. But you have to refuse to use any weapons. Let's fight, one on one, with our fists."

She giggled in a low, blood-chilling voice. "I don't need weapons to fight against you. You're as pathetic and insignificant as a fly. I'm the most powerful entity on Earth. You're no match for me. Your kid isn't either."

"Why?" Alistair asked as he dropped his shotgun on the mud.

She tilted her head to one side. "The version of the drug coursing through your veins is way older than mine." A wide smile appeared on her lips as she added in a funny and lusty tone, "The one I benefit from is far more advanced."

"I don't care if it makes you shit gold, Evergreen," he replied clenching his fists as drops of rain cascaded down his arms and hands. "A true warrior is more than their physical prowess."

She shifted her feet and swayed her hips with the pride of a cat. "We'll see about that."

In less than a blink of an eye, Mrs Evergreen's smile became the furious face of a bulldog and she sprang to him like a mad bull. Barely a second later, her fists collided against his belly with an unnerving thirst for blood.

Despite her mind-blowing speed, he eventually stopped her punches with his calloused palms. With a smirk, he glued his gaze to hers and said as if he wasn't hurt at all, "You'll have to try harder than that, bitch." Then, he smashed a fist on her shoulder, dislocating it.

A loud crack echoed. All witnesses gasped.

She suppressed a cry and smiled. "That's nothing." She pushed her chest forward and her shoulders back, making a louder crack of bones. Her smiling lips trembled, but she exhaled with a long sigh of relief. Cracking her neck left and right, it was clear she had already healed. Then, she lunged forward, her fists a blur as she aimed a flurry of punches at her opponent's chest.