Chapter 31: Torn Between Two Titans

"Hacking into my office from the safe distance of your hideout, I see," Mrs Evergreen said. "Coward."

Kovak's tone darkened as he replied, "Nice to meet you again, Khali Evergreen."

"How did you do it?" she asked with defiance as she stood up.

"I'm the most talented scientist and engineer you have ever hired."

Such a git.

"I beg to disagree," she replied as she walked around her desk with her cane.

"That, and Sky's cooperation to hack the phoenixes," he added casually. "Now that the dome is down thanks to the blue ranger, I can safely hack into your network."

"Using a child to do your bidding," she went on with a scowl. "That wasn't very smart of you."

He sighed and said as if Sky's collaboration meant little to him, "He did the job well."

"Aren't you ashamed of yourself?" she asked with a tense jaw and shoulders.

"The pot calls the kettle now, I see." He smirked.

She chuckled and smiled with naughtiness. "At least I had the decency to tell the poor boy the truth."

"Only when it suited you. Not before," he replied, fast.

She smirked. "I've always loved arguing with you. Did I ever tell you that?"

"No need. Your wicked smile gives it all away." He smirked back at her.

This conversation is so awkward. I bet Aunt Naomi is gobsmacked.

Sky took a glimpse of Naomi's baffled expression. Her eyes were wide open and glued to Kovak's hologram as if she wished he'd stop acting like a fool and talked to her immediately.

I guess she aches to tell him how she feels. Instead, she has to endure all this bullcrap between these two power-hungry monsters.

"Your friends here tried to defy me and failed," Mrs Evergreen told him. "Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. I'm still in charge and the Lifebringer project is alive and well. Thanks for asking, by the way." Her smile grew wider as she took a couple of steps forward to loom over his hologram. "I will soon get a cure for MS, too. That will be the only major change around here―apart from your imminent arrest and conviction, of course."

"We'll see about that." His disapproving whisper was too nonchalant to leave Sky at ease.

This man must have more aces up his sleeve.

"And what are you going to do about it?" she asked. "You've been radio silent all these years, hidden like the coward you are. I doubt you have got any other tricks that can actually pose a threat to me."

"I had to go silent and pretend I was dead," he replied, casting a pitiful glance at Naomi for just a second. "When you fight against a corporate titan like you, one looks for discretion and silence."

Naomi's fists were so tense that they were trembling and turning white. "Kane, you're despicable!" she yelled. "My sister was right. You're a sociopath!"

Both Mrs Evergreen and Kovak turned to look at her with disbelief.

I guess none of them expected her to interrupt their conversation. Well, too bad.

"Now, I wouldn't go that far," Kovak answered.

"You've always lacked empathy for others," she went on with her chest pumping up and down, as if she lacked enough air to speak. "You're generally impulsive. You control others with lies and you use your intelligence to manipulate others, like Sky. You never learn from mistakes because you never admit you can make them!"