Chapter 38: Empty

"I want to rescue Haywire," Sky said. "And Aunt Naomi. And retrieve my time-skipping wristwatch."

The moonlight cast an eerie glow over the park where they were hidden.

"Your what?" Kenji asked, baffled as if Sky was crazy.

"A watch I tinkered to be able to travel back in time," he replied. "Mrs Evergreen stole it from me. If she activates it, we'll travel back in time and forget everything that's happened since..." He closed his eyes as if it hurt him. "... the night I hit Haywire with my sonic gun."

"Which means... we won't be friends," Winona whispered, her shoulders slumping.

"We'll be arseholes again," Charlotte added, putting her hands over her face. "Shit."

"And Haywire and I won't be friends either," Sky said, clenching his fists.

"Oh, no," Hazel whispered with worry. "We have to do something—and fast."

"Agreed," Sky replied with renewed strength. "Let's see. I... I think it would be best to rescue Haywire first. With his imposing size and power, then we could force Mrs Evergreen to give me back what she stole—and force the guards to free my aunt as well. What do you guys think?"

"Good idea," Hazel replied.

His friends were awkwardly silent, their shy gazes cast on the floor or their hands.

"Come to think of it," Sky added, "once we have what we want, we could also force them to hand over more meds for both my aunt and you, Hazel."

She nodded and smiled at him, a positive reaction he didn't get from the rest. Kenji was fidgeting. Charlotte bit her lower lip over and over. Luca's hands were sweaty as they held his laptop. And Winona's eyes were downcast.

I wonder what's going through their minds right now. They don't seem to be committed. Well, I shouldn't be offended. They don't know Haywire. My aunt is just a teacher to them. They might feel fighting against Mrs Evergreen and her immense power is beyond their reach. They might even be scared. This is my war, after all—not theirs.

"Okay, guys. I'd like some help from you. It would mean a lot," Sky whispered. "I don't want to force you to do something you're not ready for, though. Besides, I've got no idea where Haywire might be locked in, but..." Sky added with determination after softly biting his lower lip for a moment, "who's with me?"

His friends exchanged worried glances at each other.

Am I asking too much of them?

Kenji sighed and said, "I'm in."

"Me too," Winona whispered with a shy smile.

"Damn it, Sky," Charlotte said. "Yes, me too."

Luca nodded at Sky right after that while holding hands with Charlotte.

Hazel stared at Sky with a wide smile.

"Thank you, guys," Sky whispered with a nervous smile.

"Hey, do you think Naomi is locked in there, just like you were?" Luca asked.

"No. The guards took her down a different hall in HQ," Sky replied. "So, she must've been locked up in a different holding facility than the one I was in. And Haywire, though hurt, must be locked up somewhere with other phoenixes. The arena. It's where the Elite usually take the captured phoenixes, right?"

"Yes," Hazel replied.

Sky nodded.

"Let's go there first, then," Hazel said. "Security will be compromised there too. We should make the most of Endurance taking the Internet."