Chapter 32: She Could Be Ready

Sky's eyes fluttered. The sunrays outlined a million leaves in the treetops over his head. Putting a hand over his forehead, he groaned.

A joyful chirp echoed in the forest, coming from his right.

"Where am I?" He tried to sit up, but only managed to raise his head and lean on an elbow. His joints cracked and his head ached. "The woods? How did I-?"

He looked around him with wide eyes. "Haywire! I'm... I'm lying on the boat we used to carry you?"

Haywire gently leaned his head to one side as he watched Sky.

The early morning dew left a trail of mesmerising little diamonds on the grass and clovers near the lake and coated the coal-coloured pebbles by the shore.

"My head hurts so bad," Sky whispered.

Haywire stuck his tongue out as he made cheerful little jumps beside Sky and licked the teenager's face from his jaw to his forehead. His dishevelled hair went even wilder. His long green fringe fell over his eyes.

"Oh, dude. Keep the licking to a minimum, please!"

Haywire whined softly, but he seemed to agree. He climbed onto the boat and lay right beside Sky to snuggle beside him.

"I remember now," he whispered with a rusty voice. "The Control Tower. The hacking. Then, Mrs Evergreen... and Kane Kovak's attack. The whistle. Man, my ears and my head! No wonder my brain is about to explode right now."

He let his head softly fall back while covering his eyes and forehead with both hands. Haywire had put his wing beneath the teenager's head to serve as a pillow. A hard one since it was made of metal feathers, but his intentions were good.

"I blew it too hard, and it messed with my brain," he groaned. He slowly took his hands away from his face.

Haywire cooed merrily.

"No shrill sounds, please, big fella," he complained and sighed.

Haywire replied to that by nudging the teenager's cheek with his beak in a soft, caressing movement.

He saved me. Sky turned his face to his winged friend with a warm smile. I'll remember the moment he came flying to me to fetch me for as long as I live. He defied all dangers and threats for me―not to mention his wounds. I'm glad he found enough strength and courage. He's the best friend I'll ever have.

Sky sat up to inspect Haywire's wounds. Placing his hands between his metal feathers, he combed away those that blocked his view and stared with amazement at his friend's scars. The Dream Cream has done wonders on his skin. The scar tissue has got a pleasant colour. Completely cured, just slightly unaesthetic, but that's all. No wonder he felt he could fly. He's in perfect shape!

"Glad to see you're fully recovered, my friend," he whispered with a proud smile as he petted him.

Haywire emitted a purring kind of soft whistle with satisfaction.

Then, a rustling of leaves startled Sky.

"You're awake!" a feminine voice said with glee.

"Hazel," Sky said with bewilderment as he turned his head and tried to get up. "How did you know I-? But-?"

She ran to him. "Nope! Don't you even try, mister," she warned him as she left her backpack in the boat, right beside him. "You made quite a scene last night. I didn't expect you to regain consciousness so soon."

She climbed onto the boat and sat beside him.

"How are you feeling?" she whispered. The furrowed brows and the subtle creases at the corners of her eyes portrayed her concern.