Chapter 7: Undeserving of the Elite Academy

Sky stood in front of the main entrance door of the Elite Academy, a vital part of Anti-Ageing Inc.'s business structure. It was part of the security department of the company, the one that nested all future Elite soldiers until they hatched as graduates. It was a mesmerising building covered in red and green ivy all over the facade. 

The green-fringed teen stood there with a stupefied expression on his face while Anti-Ageing Inc.'s holographic ads kept hovering nearby as they enticed other pedestrians with its fantastic products.

In the nearest ad, a woman in her forties looked into the mirror in her bathroom. She looked tired and worried. A narrator's voice said, "Are you tired of looking tired? Do you wish you could turn back the clock on ageing skin? Introducing Dream Cream by Anti-Ageing Inc. The ultimate night cream for youthful, radiant skin."

The woman picked up a jar of Dream Cream and opened it.

"Packed with powerful antioxidants and natural ingredients," the narrator went on cheerfully while the woman applied the cream to her face and neck, massaging it in, "Dream Cream works while you sleep to repair and rejuvenate your skin. Wake up to visibly smoother, brighter, and firmer skin. And say goodbye to fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots."

The woman looked into the mirror again and smiled.

"Dream Cream by Anti-Ageing Inc. Because ageing gracefully doesn't mean you have to look your age."

Anti-Ageing Inc.'s logo and tagline appeared then, "Anti-Ageing Inc. Where age is just a number."

Damn these stupid ads! They're everywhere!

After another look forward, he approached the ID scanner at the door. He showed it his right palm and a red laser light scanned his ID chip. After a satisfactory blip, the scanner said, "Entry authorised. Welcome, Sky Falcon, Elite student."

Next, the doors opened for him. He took a large intake of air and entered the great hall of the Elite Academy. He was small and insignificant in comparison to the grandeur of the building.

The place was huge and solemn, made of red bricks and dark marble. The walls were adorned with gold and silver plaques, celebrating the achievements of the Academy's alumni.

Statues of great fighters from years gone by were positioned at the corners as if keeping a watchful eye over the students. One of them was Alistair Falcon.

Hello, Dad. Sky stood right in front of his father's statue. It was made in white marble, twice the size he was in real life. Melancholy made his heart ache. How's it going in the Valhalla of the Hovering Hive? Mom misses you. And so do I.

Many students passed by him. They gathered there, in the entrance hall, that morning right before the first class of the day. Their voices echoed loudly between those thick walls.

When Sky turned to head for class, he saw his former friends chatting merrily among themselves.

Hazel was among them. Her dreamy sight stopped time. Sky's heart raced as he spotted her giggling with a friend. Her ginger hair flowed down in perfect waves, framing her delicate face. Her white skin glowed under the sun, complementing her piercing blue eyes that always seemed to gaze straight into his soul. Her curves made him weak in the knees, and he couldn't help but admire her every move. She wasn't just cute, she was an angel in his eyes.

Oh, boy. I'm not intimidated. He dried his sweaty hands on his jeans as he approached them. They were unaware of his presence. Nope. Not one bit intimidated. Why should I? This place is all I've ever dreamed of and more. They are students here, just like me.