Chapter 19: The Dreaded Meeting

This can't be happening, Sky thought, fidgeting, as he stole a glimpse of the two well-built Elite soldiers on either side of him. Tough-looking, at least a foot taller than him, and heavily armed, they gave Sky bad vibes with their ice-cold demeanour.

They were crammed into the back seats of a black sedan. When they showed up, it was clear that they had been ordered to fetch and bring him to Mrs Evergreen that night. They had shown up barely a few seconds after a phone call a team captain had made when he witnessed Sky's outstanding performance with his enhanced whistle.

As the car approached Anti-Ageing Inc.'s imposing headquarters, a foreboding sensation gripped Sky's heart. The magnificent structure loomed before him, exuding an air of power.

The moonlight threw a thin blanket of light over the building. The awe-inspiring giant skull, crafted from black and deep green marble, seemed to leer at the sky. Sky's eyes followed the glass tower that emerged from one of the skull's eye sockets, ascending into the heavens and housing offices on each floor. Looking up, only one light was on: a big chandelier in Mrs Evergreen's office, at the very top of the sword-shaped glass tower, where Sky's destiny awaited.

The black sedan crossed the enchanting garden, adorned with graceful bamboo trees and serene ponds teeming with vibrant carp fish, offering a deceptive veil of tranquillity. Sky's heart pounded hard, so he laced his fingers with his father's leather and steel bracelet to give him some comfort.

A heavy sigh escaped Sky's lips. Aunt Naomi had no time to discourage Mrs Evergreen from this meeting. But I guess I shouldn't have used the enhanced whistle, calling Mrs Evergreen's attention once more. This is my fault. I should stop relying on Aunt Naomi to get me out of trouble, just as she's always done since Dad died.

He caressed a phoenix-shaped charm of the bracelet as he steeled himself for what lay ahead, the weight of uncertainty settling upon his shoulders. Guided out of the sedan without a word from his guards and driver, he stepped through the imposing doors alone.

The entry hall was dead silent and empty. Only the emergency lights were on. On his left, a long and wide corridor led to the research and development wing. On his right, an oval reception hall with a glass staircase welcomed workers to the administration wing of the company.

The glass lift, located right in front of him, was waiting for him. So did a lean, middle-aged male butler in a black uniform.

"Right here, young sir," the butler said. "Mrs Evergreen is waiting for you upstairs."

Clenching his fists, he stepped into the lift.

"My most sincere congratulations," Mrs Evergreen said as the butler showed him into her office and closed the doors, leaving him alone with her

"My most sincere congratulations," Mrs Evergreen said as the butler showed him into her office and closed the doors, leaving him alone with her. Her voice was laced with her perennial touch of formality as she sat on her large, pristine-white leather chair.

She was giving him her back, staring at the city skyline through the glass wall of her office. The view was impressive as the mind-blowing amount of money she had spent on the décor.