Chapter 28: The Second-Best Thing I Like From You

Like an improvised cradle, Haywire slept in the white boat, docked on the ebony-coloured pebbles of the shore by the lake. The cascading water from the waterfall sang a soft lullaby.

Sky battled against exhaustion and drowsiness as he cured Haywire's wounds with the antiseptic and the first aid kit which Hazel had brought. With all the care in the world, he cleaned his dirty skin and straightened his bent feathers one by one, as well. He also applied some Dream Cream on all his body, just to be on the safe side.

He's got several burns all over his body, but the worst wound by far is this nasty, deep cut which goes from his neck to right below his right ear. I've used most of the antiseptic on it, but... now what?

He read the label of the Dream Cream once more with a deep frown. Then, he scratched his head in frustration.

How am I supposed to cure this? This won't work on an open wound. His right ear is hanging weirdly down. The other is up, as usual. I guess a nerve is damaged. Or is it a tendon? I've got no idea. I'm no doctor.

I'm not a surgeon either. Logic tells me that I should use a needle and thread to close it, but this first aid kit hasn't got one. I heard of staples being used in some emergency cases, but I haven't got those either. What if I bandage it tightly? Would that be enough? Would the ear get cured on its own?

Well, his bent tail got cured pretty fast. A day, was it?

Haywire woke up with drowsy and tired eyes. A rusty whistle escaped from his beak.

"Hey, big fella," Sky whispered with love. "Sorry. I'm not a doctor. I'm doing what I can. Did I wake you?"

His winged friend made a huge effort to lift his head. He approached Sky's face and leaned his beak on his cheek to lick it, making Sky laugh softly.

"Dude, even worn out like this, and you make me laugh." He chuckled. "I'll be done in a minute. Promise. Go back to sleep."

Haywire leaned his head onto Sky's lap, his warm breath brushing against Sky's legs. The latter felt a deep connection, an unspoken warm bond, as if a current of energy flowed between them.

As Sky ran his fingers through Haywire's feathers, a sense of peace washed over him. That was something special, something beyond words that connected their souls. At that moment, Haywire's blind trust and companionship filled Sky's heart with a warmth that would forever be cherished.

But the poor beast still needed medical assistance. Sky did what he thought was best and bandaged the wound as tightly as he could. When he was done, he exhaled.

Haywire fell asleep, and Sky covered him with a large blanket.

The blanket doesn't cover him completely, but it'll do. It's not that cold at the moment, anyway.

Sky sat beside Haywire and enjoyed the sweet taste of a homemade muffin with an adorable blush on his cheeks.

I need to come up with something to return her favour. She was really nice. His cheeks burned up with a sudden and revealing blush. That kiss... It was such a sweet and unexpected gesture! The touch of her lips lingers. I can't help but replay the moment in my mind over and over again.