Chapter 14: Am I Losing You, My Son?

"Mom," he said, clearing his throat and turning to face her again.

She looked up from her book, raising an eyebrow in surprise. "Sky, come here." When he did as told, she asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," he replied.

"Then, why have you spent the last few days avoiding me?" Halle put down her book and motioned for Sky to take a seat in front of her, on the small stool she had used to rest her feet a moment earlier.

He sat down on the stool nervously, fidgeting with his hands. "I'm sorry, Mom. I know I am grounded. It's just that I–"

"Forget about being grounded. I just wanted to talk to you about something, but I can't talk to you if you're not here."

"Well, there's always the phone, you know."

She rolled her eyes at him. "I know you. My call would've ended in the voice mail. Besides," she added with a sigh, "it's one of those things you need to say in person."

"What is it?" he asked, whispering and sweating.

"I wanted to tell you that I know about the Thunderbreaker. You took it down, all by yourself. With your sonic gun." Her voice was firm but serene.

"Yeah, it's not–"

"And Mrs Evergreen told me about the Neckbreather you tamed in the academy's arena," she added, interrupting him. "She's impressed."

"Oh, that. I–" He let out a nervous chuckle.

"Besides that, there's the incident with that gold and orange Sonic Echo Ranger," she added with a naughty glint in her eyes. "Later, you admitted you hadn't brought it down. Was that a lie because you couldn't find any proof?"

"Well, I–" He scratched the back of his head.

"As of late, nobody believes you. You would've needed to bring back some proof. That's what I would've done."

He let go of another nervous chuckle. "I guess."

Boy, this is awkward! Her voice isn't hard and judgemental as usual. I wonder what's on her mind.

"And let's not forget that today Naomi's told me about what you've done this morning to an Airshark." Her eyes were glued to his. "She also says you've taken a crash course, that you've got splendid grades so far, and that you're running for the scholarship. You're getting ahead in the race to become MVS."

"Well–" If you put it this way, it sounds like you approve of what I've achieved so far.

Seeing that he couldn't find any words, she chuckled. Next, she bit her lower lip and nodded. "How does it feel to prove me wrong, son? How come you didn't run back to me to boast about your latest achievements?"

"I never wanted to prove you wrong, Mom," he replied seriously. "I just want to make you proud of me."

"I always thought that, with your tech-oriented disposition and your scrawny physique, you were not cut to become an Elite soldier. Your father disagreed. But you seem to have a way with the phoenixes I could not anticipate. Maybe he saw something in you I cannot." She made a brief pause. "Bragging about it would not fit you, right? But still... if you want me to be proud of you, you need to tell me what you've done. Show it to me, talk about it to me, right? Why didn't you? Why have you been avoiding me these days?"

"I haven't been avoiding you. I just–" I can't believe that she's actually proud of me right now.

"Come on, Sky. I've been harsh on you this last month after you failed the admission test."

Haywire RangerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara