Chapter 6

Here it is! Chapter 6! Hope you enjoy it! HAPPY EASTER!

Liberty, having just parked her bike, walked near the city centre and saw a hastily rigged up stage being constructed. As she approached the barrier she noticed in front of the cordoned off area, she pulled out the bended newspaper up her left arm with her left hand and looked at the headline again: "Mayor unexpectedly dies!!" The paper had said that it was mainly viewed to be natural causes as the cause of death, but for some reason her journalist bells were ringing on this one. Then suddenly she came upon a male plump black cat in a black suit. "No dogs!" He declared, pointing with his right hand to a sign that said "No Dogs/Mutts/Canines/Rovers allowed!". "By order of the new mayor!" His partner, who stood to his left, a male skinny ginger coloured cat in a black suit, pointing to a sign that said "Cats welcome". "He's a Cat, and so... he likes Cats." The partner simple stated. Liberty scoffed, but she then remembered that due to Mayor's passing, the deputy mayor was now in charge, and he'd heard that he was considered by many to be a clown.

"What about freedom of the press? I'm a journalist!" Liberty demanded. "A Dog journalist! We're got a Cat journalist." The black cat replied. "Who'll only say what the cat mayor allows to him say! How will the opinion of the dogs in this city be given?" Liberty insisted, only to have the black cat thrust his left arm out at her with a stern look on his face. "Turn around." He ordered. Liberty rolled her eyes and turned around rightwards and walked away. The two cats, who are bodyguards, stopped looking at her and resumed their duties. Never one to give up, Liberty walked over to the side of the cordoned off area, and grabbed the top of the nearest barrier in front of her and moved herself over it. Inside the cat filled area, she moved over to the front, hearing one of her cat reporters talk on the news. "And this is Marty Muckcracker, standing by to broadcast new Mayor Humdinger's first address to the people of the city, which should begin any minute now." The tabby cat news reporter, wearing a striped blue suit, said before the camera as Liberty reached the front, the catskn the audience taking absolutely no notice of her, as she looked at the stage, several Canadian flags laid in a line at the back. "Ladies and Gentle-cats, please welcome to the stage a cat who needs no introduction. He's literally the greatest cat on the planet. He's... ME!" A voice announced, before music started playing, the sounds of a fire extinguisher hissing, white smoke appearing and spreading out, some members of the audience coughing in response, before a figure rose through a door on the stage, dramatically throwing his arms out, reavealing a male tabby cat wearing a blue and pink striped suit with a blue top hat. "Thank you, thank you." The cat announced as a stage crew member ran up onto the stage, got behind him, and cracked a party cracker, before running back to backstage. Liberty heard no clapping except for one slow, bored pair of hands. "I want to start by thanking each and every one of you for accepting me as your new mayor." The tabby cat, named Humdinger, spoke. "You were deputy mayor, formality!" A female voice yelled back. "A formality then, but now official, so that doesn't matter." Humbinger spoke back, before the same crew member from before pushed onto stage a model of some skyscrapers. "You know, they call this place Adventure City. But what's so adventure-y about it? The truth is... it's boring!" Humdinger spoke as he stepped besides the model. "Libraries? Boring! Museums? Boring! Cute little playgrounds? Boring!" Humdinger exclaimed as he tipped each of the models representing each place off the platform and onto the stage, which made Liberty scoff and roll her eyes. "But don't worry. I'm gonna put the 'Adventure' back to Adventure City. When I'm done with this place, you won't even recognise it!" Humdinger continued, standing behind the model and glaring over it. At this point, Liberty had seen enough and turned around rightwards and made her way through the crowd and away from that nonsense.

Meanwhile, Chase (wearing his hoodie and blue jeans) was walking down the street, followed by Rubble. Rubble (wearing a yellow long sleeved shirt and red shorts) had spotted Chase earlier walking down the pavement ahead of him, and had ran up to him and had been talking nonstop about the whole superhero thing, which was getting on Chase's nerves. "And I think we should come up with a name for ourselves. Like, I don't know, 'Crystal Squad'?" Rubble spoke on Chase's left, who s eyes were narrowed and his face was pointing ahead, his patience getting low. "Or 'The Super Gems!?" Rubble added, which made Chase roll his eyes at the nonstop stupid names, wishing he'd brought his crystal so that he could run away from Rubble. Suddenly his phone started ringing, so he came to a stop, pulled it out of his left pocket and saw that Liberty was calling him. "Hey, Liberty. Boy, I'm glad to receive your call." Chase greeted, mentally relieved that he had a distraction from Rubble. "Hey, Chase. Listen, you've heard about the Mayor dying and all that, right?" Liberty asked, getting straight to the point. "Uh, well, I've heard the Mayor died last night, and that the deputy mayor is now mayor. Or something like that." Chase answered. "Exactly! Listen to me, this new guy is crazy. And I mean, ridiculous crazy. I have a feeling your... abilities may be needed. Keep your eyes open and be ready." Liberty spoke before hanging up. Chase moved his phone away from his left ear, looked down at it, unsure and confused, then shrugged, before he resumed walking.