2.5: Nobody Smart Plays Fair / That's The Game

"How are you holding up? I'm sure this is all pretty..." Maria Hill asked as she sat a plate in front of me. It had a sandwich and a cup of fruit on it.

"Intense?" I offered with a smile as I picked up half of the grilled cheese sandwich. She nodded her head and sat down next to me.

"Um, it's been strange to say the least. Being here, seeing him again. He's nothing like I remembered and I feel like I'm the only one who cares about that." I explained softly while staring at the sandwich in my hand. I wasn't hungry but I knew I should eat something. All I've eaten since I've been here is Nutella, and fruit snacks pair with a dozen cups of tea.

"You think someone's controlling him?" She asked skeptically and I couldn't help but to nod my head.

"It sounds crazy when you say it out loud. I probably sound crazier trying to explain it but...I trusted the man I knew, the man who raised me. The person in your cell? He's not him. It's like he's brainwashed, I mean when I spoke to him, he was so sure I was an imposter. It's as if the person, the thing behind all of this told him I was dead or something. I just don't get it." I sighed in defeat. She let out a hum as she took in my words before she also sighed.

"I'll look into it. You try to eat some of that, okay?" She asked and I nodded my head. She gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze before she left.

"Thank you." I called after her but she either didn't hear me or just didn't respond.

🐍⚜️🐍

45 minutes later

The team was still arguing in the lab and because I didn't want to sit and listen, I decided to take a walk. Explore the Helicarrier.

I'd been walking around the lower level when an explosion went off. I felt my body being flung into the wall and groaned on impact.

"Ow." I winced slowly pulling myself up as the alarms began to blare. I needed to find Thor, or anyone from the team and I needed to do it fast.

"All hands to stations! All hands to stations!" A voice called over the PA as I staggered down the hall. I was using the wall for support as I walked, given the pain in my side I wouldn't be surprised if my rib was broken or something.

I could hear everyone frantically running above me which let me know that this wasn't normal. We were being attacked.

"Come on Emerald. You can do this." I whispered to myself as my pain was slowly starting to fade. I quickly began to run towards the direction of the main control room.

However just as I turned the corner I collided with someone and we both fell.

"Oh goodness, I am so sor-Loki? What are you doing out of your cell?" I asked shocked and panicked. He stared at me for a moment studying my face before his expression hardened.

"You can drop the act dear. I demand you take off this mask of my daughter at once! My daughter would never even think of involving herself in something as dangerous as this." The god scoffed causing me to sigh sadly while looking at the angry look on my father's face. Just when I thought maybe he'd come to his senses. I slid down the wall next to me, staring up at my father. Alarms blaring loudly around us and even though he was mad somehow I felt safe to sit here with him.

"Do you know what Odin did the day after you died?" I asked the god before me crossed his arms over his chest and scoffed. He copied my actions and slid down the wall across from me before waving his hands. A mist covered our bodies and I knew he'd made us invisible. We could no longer be seen or heard by anyone but the two of us.