19. Woof (Maverick - Pete Mitchell)

(Published March 30, 2024) 

   Soft kisses pulled me from my dreamless sleep.  Familiar lips started this method by grazing my forehead.  Then the very tip of my nose.  Next he kissed my cheek bone before moving down to kiss my jaw.  I had to focus really hard on not smiling as he finally brought his mouth to my own.  The kiss was just as light as the others had been, but it still sent tingles through my whole body.  Shifting a little under my thick comforter, I decided to pick on him as I faked being half asleep.  
   "I told you not on the mouth, Sophie," I mumbled as sleepily as I could, keeping my eyes closed.  
   Pete stilled, likely surprised by my statement.  I was referring to our dog, who was probably still sound asleep.  I slowly cracked my eyes open, finding his dark ones frowning at me.  I let part of the smile that was dying to be released spread over my lips as I stretched my arms out.  He was propped up on one elbow next to me, so I let my extended arm brush over his shoulder before tracing my fingertips down his jawline.  His expression didn't change.  
   "Oh, good morning," I hummed.  
   "Sophie?  My kisses feel like the dog's?" He demanded in a disbelieving voice.  
   I couldn't help but laugh, shaking my head in response.  He narrowed his eyes, obviously skeptical of the whole thing.  Trying to calm my chuckles so I could explain, I tried to roll onto my side.  He gently shoved me onto my back again, moving so his upper body was hovering over me.  I raised an eyebrow, silently questioning his plan here.  
   Leaning forward, he brought his mouth to mine once more.  Only this time, his tongue made the contact, sweeping slowly over my bottom lip.  I pushed him back by his shoulders a little, laughter making it impossible to speak.  He grinned down at me, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.  
   "Woof," He teased.
   "You, Maverick, are no dog," I stated once the laughter had subsided enough to get words out.  
   His mouth quirked up into a smirk.  "I'm glad you admitted that."  
  "I never said you were!" 
   He cut me off by pressing his lips aggressively on my own.  He kissed me roughly, his hands placed on the mattress on either sides of my shoulders.  My mouth kept up with his, though the smile wouldn't leave my face.  I loved him and how he put up with me.  I really was a lucky girl.  
   After a minute, his lips left mine and began placing wet kissed on my neck.  My smile grew as I realized I could pick on him once again.  When his lips hit my collar bone, I let out a small fake moan.  
   "Sophie," I murmured.  
   He growled, his hands quickly leaving the mattress to find my sides.  My laughter started before the tickles did, but it didn't deter him.  He tickled me like crazy, saying something about me being a brat, but I was laughing too hard to hear him.  I tapped his shoulder after a moment, my way of saying 'uncle' do to the fact that I normally couldn't breathe during tickle fights.  He obliged, his hands mercifully stopping their torture.  Instead, he began kissing down my jawline again.  He pressed the kisses quickly to my skin until he reached my ear.  There, he paused to whisper.  
   "I love you-" kiss "even though-" kiss "you are" kiss "a brat." 
   "I love you, too," I chuckled.  "Even though you're so easy to pick on." 
   A sudden barking interrupted us.  Sophie spent the nights in the kitchen so if she had an accident (because of her older age) it wouldn't be on the carpet.  It was obvious by the way she was barking that she wanted to get out and see what all he laughter was about.  Pete dropped his head onto my shoulder with a groan.  
   "I guess it's time to get up." 
   "Woof," I agreed.  

Author's Note:  Sorry for back posting this part!  I don't know how it happened, but somehow I skipped the number 19 a while ago, so I figured I'd tuck this one in that spot.