27. You Are Cute, Sometimes (Pheonix - Natasha Trace)

(Published July 2, 2023) 

   "What are you thinking?"
   I snapped out of my thoughts, glancing over at the beautiful girl beside me. Natasha was gazing at me, curiosity in her eyes, and I gave her a soft smile.
   "Just thinking about how nice it is to have a warm, sunny day without any responsibilities." I admitted, shrugging a little. "I've missed this."
   She laughed. "I agree, it's so nice to be just doing nothing."
   As she said that, she began swinging a little on the swing she was seated on. Her eyes drifted over to gaze at the shoreline before us, and after a moment I could see she had fallen into her own thoughts.
   "Hey," I reached over and gently poked her cheek to break her trance, which earned me a half-hearted glare. "What are you thinking?"
   "Just how original you are at coming up with conversation topics." She joked.
   "I was just trying to be cute!" I objected. "Girls always seem to obsess over how cute a guy is, so we try to act cute to impress you. Keyword is try, apparently!"
   She threw back her head and laughed. "I was picking on you! And you are cute, sometimes."
   "Sometimes?" I jumped off my swing and stood directly in front of hers, making her stop swinging. She looked up at me with a large smile, causing my heart to skip a beat.
   "Sometimes." She repeated.
   "Oh, that is it!"
   I playfully and carefully pulled her off of the swing by her hands. She squealed as I did, but it turned into laughter when I tossed her over my shoulder. I walked down closer to the shoreline, careful not to jostle her too much, but she didn't flail around at all, which made it easy. Then, very carefully and gently, I set her down on a picnic table and took a seat beside her. We were facing the water, and the sun was beginning to set. I slid my arm over her shoulders, and she leaned into me a little bit, her head on my shoulder.
   "Okay," She murmured after a few minutes. "This is very cute."
   "Yes!" I whispered, pumping a fist in the air victoriously.