20. Warmth (Coyote - Javy Machado)

(Published December 28, 2022) 

   Snow thoroughly covered the November day and anything that ventured out of a building.  Cars were topped with fluffy white, the ground was blanketed in it, and the windows were continuously pelted with little flakes.  It was gorgeous, for a person who didn't have to leave home that day.  And I was such a person. 
   Sighing happily, I wrapped my hands around the cup of hot chocolate I had whipped up.  I was seated on the corner of my bed, fuzzy blankets within reach in case I got cold.  One sip of my drink took care of the chills for now, but you could never be too cozy. 
   "If I had known it was going to bury us alive, I would've told you to come to California with me." Javy groaned as he sauntered into the room. 
   "Mmm," I hummed in acknowledgement, not at all agreeing.  I was glad for the snow.  It made the world so much prettier. 
   "How are we supposed to do anything?  The roads are so bad I don't know how anyone can drive today!"
   I swallowed a giggle, knowing my southern boyfriend wasn't used to chilly northern winter driving conditions like I was.  "They just drive really slowly and carefully."
   He climbed onto the bed behind me and flopped on his back.  "Pilots don't drive slow, babe."
   "Which is why we're staying home." I couldn't help but laugh.  "You'll be fine!"
   "And then there's you, all cute in your sweater with a coffee mug and starry eyes because of the snow." He commented fondly. 
   I sipped my cocoa, smiling contentedly. 
   "What am I gonna do with you?" He asked as he scooted closer and wrapped an arm around me. 
   I turned slightly to grin at him.  "Nothing.  I'm perfectly happy over here.  What are we gonna do with you, grumpy?"
   "I'm not grumpy, just not used to being confined to a house."
   "Which makes you grumpy," I teased. 
   He rolled his eyes and repositioned himself again so his head rested on my thigh, closing his eyes.  "Guess I'll take a nap, then."
   "Why?"
   "Naps are good.  Might make me not grumpy." He opened one eye and gave me a half smirk before closing his eyes again. 
   "Sounds like an attempt to make the day go by faster." I nudged him with my elbow.  
   He grumbled under his breath as he sat up and positioned himself beside me on the bed. 
   "English, darling." I sipped my cocoa again.  
   "Time goes too fast when I'm with you anyway.  No nap for me," He said in a mock sadness.  
   I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder.  "Ya know, snow isn't that bad." 
   "You're right, it's the worst." 
   I playfully swatted his arm, making him chuckle.  Wrapping his arms around me, he pulled me closer and pressed a kiss to my temple.  I grinned, carefully holding my cup so I wouldn't spill on the bed or myself.  
   "How is it the worst?" 
   "It's cold, wet, and makes outdoor activities difficult.  Did I mention cold?" 
   Laughing, I tipped my head up so I could kiss his cheek.  "I'll get you some cocoa, it'll warm you up." 
   I started to stand, but he wouldn't release me!  Instead, he stole my own cup and set it on the side table.  Before I could react, he tipped backwards, pulling me with him!  I squealed in surprise, making him laugh.  With one arm still around me, he managed to cover us in my fuzzy blanket.  Once we were covered, he embraced me with both arms and nuzzled his face in the crook of my neck.  
   "What are you doing?" I asked with a giggle.  
   "I had a different, better idea." He mumbled.  
   "Well, I'm not going to complain," I began.  "But I thought you said no naps?" 
   "Just don't fall asleep." He stated.  I could hear the smile in his voice as he did.  
   "Yes sir."
   I let myself snuggle into the blanket and his embrace.  He might not like the northern weather, but I was glad he put up with it for me.  It was what made these cute moments possible!  And I wouldn't trade these moments for all the beach parties in California.