2.5 After A Scolding (Rooster - Bradley Bradshaw)

(Published October 28, 2022)

   "Lieutenant Garnett, would you care to explain to me what in tarnation happened out there?"
   I was standing stiffly in front of Admiral Bales' desk, confrontation being served and well deserved.  My hands were clasped behind my back and I kept my gaze straight ahead on the window shades behind him, trying to find the words to explain the situation accurately.  I knew he wasn't going to be happy no matter what I said.  Not that I blamed him.  We had risked very expensive aircraft where we weren't even supposed to be.  The only problem was, Rooster had been there.  So when the hot headed leader of our group suggested we back them up in the fight, I had followed along with two other pilots who had been transporting planes with us.  It wasn't our smartest move, but we brought both of the planes that had been tangled in a dogfight back in one piece. 
   "Sir, you're aware that Dodgers was the leader of our task," I began, pausing as he cut me off like I had anticipated.
   "That's why the damn fool is waiting until last to be questioned, yea."
   "Sir, he heard that Rooster and Tank were in a dogfight.  We weren't more than two minutes out, so he thought if we made an appearance, it'd deter the bogies.  I was concerned for the pilots, who are also my friends, and used my gut instead of my head, sir.  I followed Dodgers in." Best to be honest, I thought silently.
   He gave me a long stare, which I saw from my peripheral vision.  Bringing his hand down on the table in a surprisingly light slap, he got to his feet with a grunt.  Now I was forced to look him in the eye, which I did.  Standing my ground, I could do.  Talking myself out of whatever was coming was out of my capabilities, though. 
   "Lucky for you, I talked to Rooster and Tank first." He sighed.  "Sounds like your disobedience might've saved us some plane repairs, if not a pilot or two.  I'm not saying this was a good choice, so don't you dare think you'll get off so easy if you even think about doing this again.  However, you get off with a warning this time."
   "That's overly generous, sir." I stated, hoping my eyes didn't show the relief I felt. 
   "Don't have to tell me," He grumbled.  "This is war, youngster.  You let emotion win, you're dead.  I wouldn't, if I were you."
   "Sir," I responded.  I wasn't about to agree or disagree with that, and he knew it.
   "Dismissed.  Send the real troublemaker in." He sat back down with a thud, his eyebrows furrowing at the thought of his next conversation. 
   I quickly did as he asked, anxious to leave the room and release the sigh of relief I had been holding in.  Once Dodgers was in, I leaned against the wall of the ship and did just that. 
   "Good news, I'm guessing?"
   I stood and beamed at Rooster, who was grinning back at me.  "Thanks to you!  Not that I'm scared of Admiral Bales.  He's a good, fair guy, so far."
   "He's alright."
   The dark eyed pilot opened his arms, knowing exactly what I needed.  Without hesitating, I stepped into his embrace.  We both sighed happily in sync, making me laugh quietly. 
   "Not sure why you were worried," I teased.  "It wasn't like you were getting in trouble."
   "I wouldn't be worried if it was me.  Knowing me, I probably deserve it." He pulled back and brushed his fingers across my cheek.  "It makes me sick with worry when you're getting a scolding."
   "They won't discharge me," I shrugged it off, but was inwardly swooning at the fact that he cared that much about me.  "They gotta keep up on their quota for women, you know."
   "Is that why you let out that huge sigh of relief a minute ago?" He raised an amused eyebrow. 
   "Hey, just because they won't get rid of me doesn't mean I won't get a punishment of some kind." I pointed out. 
   Rooster opened his mouth to reply when shouts carried through the closed door to Bales' office. 
   "Maybe we should relocate ourselves." He commented softly. 
   I chuckled.  "Don't worry, I'll protect you."
   "Just because your call sign is 'Barricade' doesn't mean that you make a good one." He grabbed my hand and began leading me down the hall. 
   I laughed.  "How do you think I got the name?"
   "Because you liked the Transformer?" He joked.
   "Transformer?" I asked, giving him a look of confusion.  We left the hallway of offices and headed down to the crew level. 
   "Don't tell me you don't know what a Transformer is."
   "Its a plastic toy that never fits back into it's car shape correctly once you make it a robot."
   He sighed and I gave him a cheesy grin. 
   "It's a good thing I love you."
   "I agree completely!"
   Suddenly, he pulled me into the supply room that was conveniently empty.  His expression became serious and he pulled me into a hug again. 
   "Thank you for backing us up.  We probably could've made it out, but...  All I could think about was how I had to keep us both alive, Tank and me, so we could see our loves again.  Then I heard your voice over the coms...  Thought maybe I had died and not known it for a minute." He swallowed thickly.  "Don't do it again, but thank you."
   I pulled back to look up at him and smiled.  "If I can be your back up or protect you, I will."
   "Didn't I just tell you not to?" He chuckled, still sounding a little emotional. 
   Gently, I brought my palm to rest on his cheek.  "You'd do the same for me."
   His hazel hues gazed into my eyes for a moment before nodding.  "Damn straight."
   And with that, I brushed my lips over his.  He pulled me closer, deepening the kiss.  It was gentle, but firm because we both wanted it.  My stomach fluttered and I lost track of time for a moment. 
   "Um, I'm really sorry, but I need a toolbox."
   We pulled apart quickly to find a repair man awkwardly averting his gaze.  Blushing, I stepped aside as Rooster moved towards the door. 
   "Sorry," We said in unison. 
   The startled guy just nodded and hurried to get his tools. 
   "Well, that didn't work as planned." Rooster chuckled, not at all embarrassed. 
   My cheeks were still warm.  "Nope."
   He gently tapped my nose with his fingertip.  "You're cute when you blush."
   "Whatever you say, but lets not make a habit of causing it." I laughed nervously. 
   "If you insist." He chuckled again.