New beginnings

The next week, Phoenix and Maya got on to the earliest train to Kurain Village that morning. Phoenix was still having a hard time keeping his eyes open, it was only thanks to Maya's loud excitement that he managed to stay awake. With his tired gaze he looked out the window, watching as the mountains and trees rushed past him. A sea of green.

It didn't take long for them to arrive in the village, Phoenix stepped off his carriage and was immediately met by one woman and a young girl. Next to them was an older man with grey hair. Phoenix stared at him suspiciously he didn't look like a relative of Maya.

"Oh Nick I completely forgot to mention that I am going to be doing a spirit channeling today. With that man right there. Dr Grey."

"Ah I see."

The doctor answered, his voice was of a medium tone but it had a slight rasp to it, Phoenix hated that.

"Hello sir, I am only a client within this residence so do not worry yourself with me."

Phoenix nodded and changed his gaze to another direction. He looked over to the small girl hiding behind the woman.

"I should probably introduce myself..." The woman smiled, her eyes sharp and distrustful.

"My name is Morgan Fey, this girl hiding behind me is my daughter Pearl Fey."

"So that's Pearl..."

Pearl didn't seem to be like anything Maya had described her as, she seemed quiet and timid not outgoing or even loud like Maya had said. Just as Phoenix was about to reach down and greet her, the little girl jumped and ran into a building nearby.

"Sorry about her, she get's scared easily."

Phoenix nodded whilst being dragged away by Maya who excitedly wanted to show him around. They stopped at his room first so that he could put his things away. On the other of his bed Phoenix saw a small mattress, it looked like it had been used, he hoped that he wouldn't have to share the room with that Dr Grey, he seemed annoying.

Being dragged around the village really took Phoenix's mind off of Miles, he didn't have much time to think when being bombarded by information. Maya didn't let him rest until she had showed him everything, every small tapestry and even the chairs. Phoenix was so tired by the end of the day that he collapsed into his bed, not even bothering to change his clothes. 

Suddenly he felt a little rustling beside him and a hand popped Phoenix let out a huge scream fear filling the top of his lungs. A small girl peaked her head up with a tray in her hand. It was just Pearl.

"You scream like a girl." Phoenix felt his cheeks turn red, this girl really had no filter. It was really obvious she was Maya's cousin.

"Umm my mother told me to bring this to you," Phoenix saw the girl pause and think as though she was remembering script lines. "And that I should umm- no you should call for her if you need any help finding your way around the village."

Pearl handed the tray to Phoenix, it just had some tea and a little cake. With her eyes trying to avoid eye contact with Phoenix, Pearl walked away scurrying quietly across the floor. 

Phoenix gulped down the tea whilst sitting silently on a small chair, the business had managed to stop him from think about Miles for most of the time being, but not all the time. This quite sadly gave him the perfect opportunity to reminisce on the old days. Not too long ago...

Miles would have loved this place...

A tear streamed its way down Phoenix's cheek. Once they started it wouldn't stop, he silently sobbed whilst sipping his tea and staring at the falling leaves of the branches.

Phoenix suddenly remembered what Maya had told him a few hours ago, she was going to be channeling a spirit today! Phoenix had always wondered what it was like to channel a spirit, so he wiped away his tears and hurriedly went to the room Maya had told him to go to. 

Right before he stepped into the chamber Phoenix saw someone's fiery hair poking out from a corner. Only one person had hair that orange and curly. It was Lotta!

"Lotta... Is that you?"

Lotta answered back her thick southern accent as loud as ever.

"Yup! I haven't seen you since that trial with the man who had a bullet in his shoulder!"

Phoenix chuckled "Heh, yeah... That was one harsh trial."

"Sure was! I'm just glad I got my camera back, that detective was so sure of keeping it."

"Well... What are you doing round here?"

"I came for that gossip of course! I needed to see how a spirit channeling worked myself. Gonna publish it in the papers. I'll be famous!"

"Sure Lotta..."

Phoenix and Lotta both stepped into the chamber, Maya excitedly bounced up and down.

"Nick! I'm glad you remembered to come! I know I said you could watch the spirit channeling but the thing is... It's only going to be me and Mr Grey in the room. You guys can't come in... You can still try and listen though... Sorry."

Phoenix sulked, he was quite excited about seeing a spirit channeling. At least he could still try and listen in he was only slightly disappointed, Lotta on the other had was fuming her eyebrows at a sharp angle as she talked to Morgan Fey.

"Ma'am with all due respect I was promised I was gonna see a spirit channeling! How am I gonna take my pictures now, I brought my camera for nothing!"

Morgan was trying to calm her down whilst preparing Maya for the spirit channeling.

"I'm sorry ms but we want a safe environment for the channeling, it should only be the medium and her client. I will allow you take pictures of the room after the session is over."

Lotta grumbled but there wasn't a lot she could do, Phoenix watched as he saw Maya step inside and wave at him before Morgan closed the doors.

Phoenix waited for a few minutes, trying to hear something, anything but it was all just silence. Then after about another minute he heard a loud bang like a gunshot! Phoenix turned to Lotta and they both ran to the door, it had been bolted shot. Phoenix and Lotta pushed and pounded against the door until it finally let through. The sight in front of them was a horror.

Lotta snapped a picture whilst Phoenix looked at the body in front of him. Dr Grey was dead, Phoenix could see a gunshot wound and whilst he was busy studying the body he could hear Morgan holding an unconscious Maya. Phoenix ran over but Morgan shooed them away. Phoenix and Lotta were both forced to leave the room, he pulled out his cellphone and called the police. 

This was going to be a problem...