Pt 36

It's been about another week since you were told about the move, with no option except to follow your family across the country, you try not to acknowledge it to Montana. You knew that not telling her was a bad idea, but a worse idea, would be telling her the truth before you packed up. You already explained part of it to Big Mama, telling her that you'd need to hide some stuff in the lab as storage. She said that'd be fine as long as you have no trouble getting back in a year and announcing your appearance.

The days felt shorter until you got to a Friday. It was time to deal with these new kids who've apparently switched up their schedules. They were more "friends" of Kendra. A girl named Jolene, Jolene's brother Harold, who goes by Harry, and Harold's best friend Timothy. Jolene is about a year younger than her brother and his friend, but she doesn't let that stop her from acting like a skank on school grounds. She flirts with boys who are in relationships and tries to get them to break things off with their partners for fun. No wonder she's Kendra's bestie.

You walk into the cafeteria and sit down, wearing the purple hoodie. You had washed it, given it back to Donatello and gotten yours back, but found yourself and him exchanging them again rather quickly. You tried to eat your food, checking your phone to see a text from Donatello.

Lavender-Loverman:

(Salutations, Yin. I know you're at lunch. I also know that you're fully capable of responding to me. I'm in no way worried about you, I just wanted to ask why you're not answering anyone's texts, calls, emails, ect. Don't pretend that you aren't looking at your phone right now. You don't ever leave any notifications unmarked. I'll await a response.)

You groan, knowing that he's right that you've been ignoring him for a while. It's almost ridiculous, but you don't know what to do. If you tell him, he'll want to convince you to ask to stay. He might even ask Montana to help him "keep his rival in town" or something. Montana might pitch the idea to let you stay with her family, and if that happens, you'll look like a piece of shit because you'll leave your family to deal with your dying grandmother. It truly was quite the predicament.

"Ooh~ You got a boyfriend you've been hiding, Y/n?" You hear Jolene ask, peeking over your shoulder as you hide your phone in your backpack. You glare at her.

"First off, he's my... academic rival in my advanced college courses. You wouldn't understand that because you're too busy trying to break up failing relationships. Now go eat your lunch and keep pretending that you're not a depressed, dimwit of a girl, who's new step-mommy doesn't love her." You snarl, genuinely hating everything about her. She rolled her eyes, seeming mildly shocked, but like she tried to hide it.

"Well then, fuck you. I was just teasing, you bitch. Plus, everyone knows that I have a step-mom. So how about you pick a new insult? Oh- and a new hoodie. Unless it's your boyfriend's, then you can just give it to me." Jolene said, brushing her fingers through her ginger hair. She grabbed your water bottle and opened it, ready to pour it on you for no reason. You stared ahead, not doing her the favor of looking at her or lowering your hood. She began pouring the water down your back, over your hood. You placed your backpack somewhere that it wouldn't get wet.

"Okay. Then how about you pick something other than being a common, Regina George wannabe, who has an equally slutty brother, and tits faker than a Kardashian's. How about you pick something else to do, except for other people's boyfriends. How about you pick something other than looking in the mirror and thinking you're better than me, because you're not. You're scared that this; high school, is your peak, that you'll end up with a junkie who beats you and your teen-pregnancy baby, that you're going to end up on the streets or dead. How about that, Jolene?" You mumbled, not looking towards her as she threw your empty bottle at you.

"What was that, Y/n?" She asked, leaning towards you as you turned your head to glare directly into her eyes. Seeing the soft shine of worry in her emerald-green eyes, you held your expression, the lack of emotion or care. You grabbed the plastic bottle and quickly stood at the same time, staring down at her slightly shorter figure as you hold the bottle right next to her face, causing her to flinch. She gasped, eyes widening as you moved faster than she thought you could.

"Nothing... You emptied this, throw it in the recycling bin." You said, glaring at her as you heard someone muttered something to another student. They all watched in anticipation as Jolene looked toward the table with Kendra and her brother. The hard stare at her didn't stop as you held the bottle against her face, gently turning her head to look at you again.

"Take it, Jolene... Now." You demanded, eyebrows furrowed in aggravation. She took the bottle as her brother approached you from the side, seeing you intimidating his sister. He reached to tap your shoulder, causing you to turn and grab his hand, staring at him as he froze up. You weren't hurting him, just continuing your hard stare onto him.

"Y/n... leave my sister alone-"

"-She came to me and interrupted my meal before I even looked at her. She poured the water from my bottle on me and started talking more shit. So I asked her to deal with the bottle. Is that a crime, Sherman?" You asked, not using his actual name to annoy him. He pulled away, looking flustered by your glare and his first proper look at your face.

"My name's not Sherman-"

"I don't care, now let me eat in peace." You dismissed him, starting to remove the hoodie. He stared as you revealed your short-sleeved shirt that hugged your shoulders very well. Losing the extra layer of fabric really showed off your more muscular body and the elbow-length, custom-made gloves did good to hide your strange, cracking, golden scars. You left, taking your backpack to the bathroom with you and ringing out the hoodie over the sink. You got back quickly enough to eat a bite or two of your lunch before leaving for the next class early.

You see Timothy talking to Harold and you roll your eyes as you leave. Timothy follows you to your guy's next class, which you unfortunately now shared with him. Once you've made it to your designated seat, you see Timothy sit to your right.

"Hey, Y/n." He said, sounding cheerful. You groan, pulling out your homework and starting on it early. You sense his stare, looking at him with an amplified "resting bitch face".

"Hi. Do I know you?" You responded in a nearly robotic voice. He laughed uncomfortably as he scratched his neck, seeming to be overthinking.

"Well, uh... Not really?- I mean, I know a little bit about you, but we're not really friends. I'm Tim." He said, reaching his hand out. You ignore his hand and continue your homework.

"That's great, Timothy." You said, unfortunately shutting him down. He seemed to still want to try, obviously smiling at you.

"Cool... I really admire your smarts. I mean, I couldn't even pass Spanish. How many languages do you know?" He asked, trying to make small talk as you continued your work. You knew bits and pieces of many languages, but you could definitely hold conversation in the languages that you find yourself about to list.

"I know English, American Sign Language, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Korean, German, Vietnamese, and I know inappropriate phrases, cusses, names, and nomenclatures in French." You said plainly causing him to stare with a dropped jaw. Tapping your pencil against your desk, you started thinking again, ready to provide one more example with a cocky grin.

"Oh, and if you count Morse Code and Binary Code. Those too." You said, almost feeling his amazement as you smirked to yourself. You think about your accomplishments and also know that if he told anyone, they wouldn't believe that you told him anything truthfully. It was amazing.

"Wow... You uh... never talk to anyone... Why'd you answer me?"

"Because if you tell anyone, they won't believe you."

(Word count: 1447)