Chapter 123- Whisperer War

Yesterday, Negan killed Alpha. According to him, that was the plan all along. That was why he joined the Whisperers, that was why he tried to kill us, that was the reason for everything. He slit Alpha's throat and then cut her head off; he stuck it on a stake just like she did with everyone else. 

It's weird seeing Negan in front of me again, not behind bars. 

"Why'd you do it?" I ask, referring to saving me in the office. 

"Adrian, I still care about you. I never stopped." Negan says, leaning on the wall to my right. 

I lick my lower lip, "Feels like you did." 

He sighs and nods, "I know. But, every time I saw you with a new bruise, I wanted to rip Nick's throat out." 

I scoff and roll my eyes, "It's almost like- now, I could be wrong, I could remember one of the most traumatic nights of my life wrong but...it's almost like you reunited him with me!" I can't help but get angry, I know there was a reason but...no the hell there wasn't. 

Negan closes his eyes and shakes his head, "And I will regret making you go through that again every day for the rest of my life." 

I take a step forward and slap Negan across the cheek, "Fuckin' good." He takes the slap and doesn't retaliate, he just slowly looks back at me. My fingers trail through my hair as I sigh, "I taught Beatrice that you weren't a bad guy. I made sure of it." His eyes flash with a hint of hope. "But you're gonna need to prove that to the both of us." 

He nods, "I will." 

All of Alexandria, Oceanside, Hilltop have been moved to the southern part of the top level of a hospital for protection. We have a little more of a hunch that Alpha's horde is gonna make their way to Alexandria next. Alden, Aaron, and I have decided to go to Alexandria and secretly keep watch. We're up in the windmill, hiding behind the wall of the upper level as the propellors whoosh past us. The level we're on is above the balcony of the structure, it's a level that you have to balance on creaky ass beams to be able to stay up. 

"Shush-" I quickly shush Alden and Aaron's hushed conversation when I hear the faintest sound of growls. Lots of them. I hold my hand up to make sure they stay quiet and stay put while I slowly and secretly peek out the window. Just as I do, thousands of Walkers stumble into our lands, crushing tomatoes, knocking things over, overriding my nostrils with the scent of death. I quickly hide behind the wall again when I see Beta at the head of the horde walking to the windmill along with another Whisperer. 

"Fuck," I whisper almost soundlessly. "He's coming." Aaron nods to me and he and Alden exchange a ready look, both of them gripping their weapons. A creak in the steps below us alerts me that Beta and his Whisperer buddy are on their way up. Even my breath somehow goes quiet, as well as my heartbeat and brain. I push my back against the wall behind me and pray to Damien and Cato that Beta doesn't see or hear us. 

Beta and the Whisperer stand just ten feet below us, outside the level we're on, standing on the balcony, watching over their horde. Beta grips the wooden railing menacingly, his shoulders rising and falling with each heavy breath. Alden scoots on the beam next to me to make sure to be out of sight but loses his footing. He slips and almost falls but I catch him by the arm and glare at him. He nods to me as a "thank you" and straightens up. 

A third Whisperer walks up to Beta and his Whisperer servant. "No sign of 'em. They left quickly. Couldn't have gone far." The third Whisperer says, probably a girl. 

"Do we search elsewhere?" The other Whisperer asks. 

"Where..." Beta's voice trails off as he thinks for a moment. "Ocean."