Chapter 67- Intruder

(TW!! Mentions of s/a, abuse, and cannibalism!!) 

In the middle of the night, Alyssa grabbed my ankle and yanked me awake as I was dozing off. I quickly sit up and grab my knife before she runs to Maggie, Sasha, and Daryl, holding the slamming barn door closed.

I quickly sit up and run over with her, putting both hands on the door and using the weight of my feet to try to hold it closed. 

Thunder, rain, and Walker's growls keep somehow getting louder and louder. Lighting illuminates a herd of Walkers outside of the doors every few seconds. 

I grunt as my feet slide on the ground, the weight of the Walkers and wind overpowering all of us. 

The rest of the group has started helping us at this point, including Carl. 

Rain leaks through the roof, making the floor and doors wet, causing our hands and feet to slip constantly. 

"Jesus," Inejra screams against the loud noises around us. "Fucking push goddamn it!" 

"We're trying!" Alyssa shouts through gritted teeth. 

We all scream and grunt, our muscles burning and our fingers getting split open from splinters.

After what feels like an eternity of holding the door closed, the pressure releases from the outside, showing that the Walkers have moved on.

As I step back from the door, my hands and arms shake after being strained for so long. My muscles are tense and my middle and ring fingers are bleeding from being split open from a piece of wood. 

We all take a few steps back and watch the door, waiting for something to happen. Everyone's breaths are coming out in quick-paced and ragged.

I look at Abraham and he looks at me, "Your fingers are a lil' red there." He notices, pointing to my hand.

I look at my fingers and then back at Abraham, "Sorry, my girlfriend's on her period." He snorts and nods, "Alright then." 

"Gross," Alyssa whispers, shaking her head and walking away. 

Slowly, everyone disperses to go lie down, our bodies giving out after that workout. 

Daryl and I take the back wall, facing the door. He sits up against the wall and I lay next to him, lying on my arm. 

"Here," He rasps quietly, straightening his legs out for me to lay on them. 

I give him a close-mouthed smile and lay my head on his thighs, turning on my side and relaxing into him. His hand comes down and he lightly tangles his fingers in my hair, massaging my head ever so slightly. 

 Slowly, my eyes become heavier and the world goes black.

In the morning, my head is still on Daryl's legs when I wake up. Everyone is awake though Sasha and Maggie are missing. 

I slowly sit up and rub the tiredness away from my eyes, "Where are..." 

"They're fine," Daryl reassures me. "They just went on a walk. They'll be back." 

I sigh and lay my head back on Daryl's legs so that I can adjust to being awake. 

"Did you get any sleep?" I ask, noticing that he's still in the same position as he was when I went to bed. 

"Mhm," He nods, chewing on his bottom lip. 

I narrow my eyes and sit up, "Go to bed, asshole." 

He scoffs and stands up, "I did, before Maggie left. I slept sitting up."