Chapter 33. Monotony

Day followed by another.

The moon and the sun continued their chase and I remained indifferent to the brute.

He, as Jane and Mary suspected, was easy to make connections with the boys and soon he had a group of fainted hearts that ached to be swept across and tattooed with his name....The more I watched, the more I questioned if those poor souls had a brain.

Tutor, and his name in the register, was always an invitation to my feet to run away: he had his grin suffocated in repulse when I dared enter his sight; without hesitation I knew I was the cause: and it deeply offended me.

"Hey" I greeted with my smile directed to friends as I entered, as every day, the room.

"What's up lady?" Jane rushed to a hug; I embraced her with mine.

"Nothing" I denoted in a smile: she would rarely buy it. "I am good!" I soothed "I simply, stood up late and are a little tired, you know nights are not for me: that's all" and a yawn escaped my lips to which I covered politely.

"Late night study?" Jane huffed: still redundant about my passion for 'boring stuff' as she called: I laughed sweetly.

"I guess it counts...I suppose it can also be late-night thinking"

"Existential crisis it is"

"No, no" I said between chuckles, "My existence is quite defined and I am pleased with it: I might be ambitious but I am no fool to argue with mother nature. It was a debate in between baby-shoulder angel and baby-shoulder demon"

"Who won?" She asked diabolically, a grin thrusting her face from cheek to the other: I rolled my face at her evilness.

"Unfortunately" and her face fled back to boredom "No one truly won: it was an inconclusive debate"

"Sweet" Ty, interrupting our conversation, whispered as his eyelids were glued to his cellphone. "Excuse me?" I asked him, concerned about his perception "It is not sweet when your brain doesn't shut up" I said sweetly.

"Oh it is." He argued, his eyes huffing with flamed hopes "I believe it gives us purpose: when I am left to my thoughts, I think. My brain starts to spin in all new moves and cool words, I think about strategy in soccer and in VR; I like when my brain doesn't sleep:it is my jam" He concluded with an academic grin spreading indecorously through his cheeks, he was proud of his latest comment as he knew that rarely he sounded academic. : I placed my hands on top of his hoodie and threw if off, evidencing his bold head to which everyone was tempted to caress. His eyes infuriated with anger: he despised his boldness.

"How was practice?" I questioned, saluting with my eyes sweet Irene who still did not understand her homework: I sat next to her and attempted to multitask, I was not very successful. "It was okay" Andrew, entering the room and confining his body to his usual chair, next to Ty's and behind Jane's, who's eyes were first to encounter. "We did rounds and the usual drills, but as some of us-" His eyes, meticulously analysing his following words, dodged themselves from the crowd and peaked in anger when his stepbrother's sight was locked: as if they were missiles to be fired, they addressed their target with disgust. His gritted teeth finally released his subject and proceeded with his words, swiftly changing moods. "Could not cooperate: the coach forced us to run more laps and, yes, everyone was dead but we do have high hopes about the next season."

"Nice!" Jane, exacerbated with the news, skipped a little closer to his figure: after rationality coursed through her veins, she scolded her instinctive reaction which forced him to laugh and as regard, she cheekily punched his bare shoulder.