no trust

Rayle had retreated to the corner of the room, curled up on the floor. She didn't know how long she had been here; time had become an arbitrary concept; just one more element of her life that had been taken away from her by Negan.

The lock clicked, followed by the sound of the door swinging open. Her heart dropped in her chest, expecting to see Negan on the other side.

Negan's smile was now filled with smugness as he leaned back on the doorframe.

"I'm willing to forgive your little... outburst, my dear. All I need you to say are two simple words."

Rayle's voice dropped to a whisper, and she mumbled her response, "I'm.... I'm sorry."

Negan's smugness seemed to dissolve in the moment, and he nodded, seemingly satisfied.

"Good. I'm going to Alexandria to take your people's shit.”

Rayle hesitated, but finally asked, "Can...Can I come?"

"I'm a man of my word, am I not?" Negan asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

Rayle slowly but cautiously nodded in response.

The ride to Alexandria was longer than Rosie had expected as she found herself in the passenger seat next to Negan. Each second of the journey seemed long and grueling, as the tension between them continued to grow.

She also found herself with a limp after Negan had pushed her, but she figured, 'It should be fine in no time.'

Suddenly, the truck stopped, and Negan hopped out. She wanted to go as well, but Negan held his hand out, stopping her. She waited in the truck, fiddled with her thumbs, and looked down at her shoes.

She heard the gate opening, and she looked up to see Spencer opening the gate. He was talking to Negan, and then Rick walked up and opened the other gate.

"I got you something!" Negan yelled loud enough for Rayle to hear.

Negan turned to look at Rayle through the window, yelling again, "Why don't you come out here?"

Rayle opened the truck door and jumped down on the ground. She looked down, ashamed to meet the eye of anyone, especially Negan. But she mustered up enough courage to walk towards his side, keeping her eyes lowered.

"Why don't you thank me for bringing this little shit back? Even after she hit me with a f*cking tabletop lamp and tried to run away!" Negan said, patting Rayle on the back. She had tears in her eyes as she slowly started to walk forward, wanting to be by Rick.

Negan wagged his finger and whispered, "Not yet."

She took a step back, realizing she had no choice but to obey.

"Alright, let's get this started!" Negan yelled.

"Hey Rick, you see that? That was some service, I mean, we all get turned away at the gate, right? Who is that guy anyway? Do I get mad? Do I throw a fit? Do I bash some ginger's dome in? Nope!" Negan said, the smile on his face widening as he walked into Alexandria and handed Lucille to Rick.

Rayle followed Negan, her head low as she kept walking, waiting to see what would happen next.

"Hot Diggidy Dog!" Negan yelled, looking around Alexandria with a wide grin on his face.

"This place is magnificent, a true embarrassment of riches! They say." Negan muttered, glancing back at Rick with a chuckle.

"Yes, sir, I do believe we're gonna have plenty to offer up." Negan said, seemingly more serious now as his demeanor changed accordingly.