035

(If any of y'all have seen How To Train Your Dragon's 'Race to the Edge' you'll like this chapter. Or at least the beginning.)

"Beckendorf would you please stop pacing in circles. You're making me dizzy." Will Solace complained.

"I'll stop pacing when she wakes up. How long is she gonna be like this Will?" Charlie asked, continuing his circular pace.

"It's only been a few hours, healing takes time." Will pointed out.

"It's three in the morning! She's been out since this afternoon!" He whisper shouted.

"Exactly it's dark out. Even more reason for her to be asleep." Will snapped back. He stood up from beside the bed, "listen, I get you're stressed but this circular thingy isn't helping anyone. If you go any faster you might create a tornado. Let her rest, her body is stable and there's hardly any sign's discomfort coming from her. So please, for the love of the gods, go rest too."

Charlie sighed and looked past Will towards the sleeping girl behind him. "Fine, but come get me as soon as she wakes up."

Will nodded, "I will, but please-"

Will didn't get to finish his sentence because a quiet groan and the wrinkle of bed sheets distracted him. Both boys snapped their heads towards the bed where Esmeralda began to stir. In a split second they were at her side as she slowly shifted around. Very slowly, her eyes peeled opened. Though she had just woke, there was already a discomforting look in her eyes as she stared at the ceiling.

"Wha-" her throat felt like sand paper, she could hardly manage to croak out a few words. "It's so dark..."

"Hey, you feeling ok?" Charlie asked.

"Why is it so dark in here?" She whispered, if it hadn't been so quiet in the infirmary they wouldn't have been able to hear her.

"It's night time, like three in the morning. Does something hurt?" Will noticed the lost expression on her face. "You seem a little unsettled."

Once again she ignored the question. Instead she turned to look at Will, but her eyes never connected with his. Her gaze wandered around his figure like she was following a fly through the air. "Will?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Yeah, it's me." Will failed to understand her confusion. He was sitting almost a foot away from her.

"Where are you?"

Will fell silent. He looked over at Beckendorf to see if he was thinking the same thing.

"Esmeralda?" Charlie gently grabbed her hand.

Em ripped her hand away from his grip. "Charlie? Where are you guys and why is it so dark in here, I can't even see you."

Panic began to spread throughout Will. "I think we should get Chiron."

~

About five minutes later Will returned with Chiron. The centaur had obviously just woken from his sleep and rushed to the infirmary as fast as possible. If possible, he looked drowsy and alert at the same time.

Having been informed of the situation minutes ago, it was no shock to find Esme in tears when they returned. Chiron approach her slowly, "Esmeralda?"

Her head turned towards his voice, but her eyes never stopped in one spot. "What's happening to me?" She whispered.

"I-I can try and run some tests, maybe your vision is just clouded." Will suggested.