Chapter 20

"Today, we have gathered together to crown the next monarch of Hell. I thank you all for joining us on this monumental occasion. Today marks the day that we witness a third monarch of Hell." I lift my hand to wave Charlotte forward, as I keep my gaze towards the denizens of hell. "I ask that you put your hands, wings, or other appendages together in applause for our new Queen, Charlotte Morningstar!"

A thunderous cheer erupts from below as Charlotte takes the spot next to me, her hands clenched in front of her with nerves.

I lower my hand to her back, gently nudging her forward. I lean down and whisper, "You are doing great." I adjust the cape around her shoulders subtly. "You will be a great ruler. I will be here every step of the way."

She glances up at me and nods once. Her once trembling hands stop as she grasps the railing before her.

"Denizens of Hell, I swear to lead us to a new chapter! I will continue to lead this place to the best of my abilities and keep the peace we have cultivated all these years!" Charlotte bellows.

The crowd below us lets out whoops and cheers of approval.

Charlotte beams, turning to face Lilithia, who looks proud.

I step forward, carefully taking up the crown from the cushion a servant is holding. Before I place the crown on her head, I stop, feeling a burning sensation in my hands. I pull the crown back, looking it over carefully.

Charlotte looks at me, anxiety written across her face. "Aunt Lana, what is it?" She asks, her voice low.

I look up at her. "I think someone is trying to stop this coronation," I whisper to her. "I believe this crown has been tampered with, but worry not, we have another one for emergencies like this." I turn to another servant and nod.

The servant bolts off quickly.

Lilithia takes a step forward, but I lift a hand to stop her.

I turn to the crowd below, who begin to stir nervously, murmuring amongst themselves. I can feel my hands starting to blister, but I must not show any pain.

The servant comes running back in, the new crown in hand. "H-here you are, Miss Lana," the servant stutters.

"Lilithia, please crown your daughter," I say, taking a step back from Charlotte.

Lilithia nods once, stepping up and grabbing the crown from the servant. She inhales before beginning her speech to crown Charlotte.

Charlotte bows her head, her eyes closed as she braces for the crown.

I grip the crown in my hand tightly, feeling the points stab into my flesh, the cool feeling of my ichor dripping from the wound.

Once the crown has settled up on Charlotte's head, she turns to the denizens again. They erupt with another round of thunderous applause, followed with cheers and hollers.

I quietly slip away, hurrying down the hallway.

At this point, they will not notice my absence, since there will be a ball shortly after this.

I push open the door to Jade's medical clinic. She is not here, as she is watching the coronation. I set the crown in a basin, and begin rummaging around for something medicinal to apply to my wounds.

It feels as though there is fire spreading through my veins very quickly. The pain feels familiar, as if I had dipped my hands into a fire I created.

A container hits the ground and rolls towards the door, hitting it with a soft thud and twirling on the ground before stopping.