23 - Declan

Everly's giggles and Seraphine's snickering as they attempted to make a cake together were pure gold, and I couldn't hold back the smile of exhilaration my lips spread across my face to save my life. Besides Seraphine returning to my life, what's happening now is one of my best nights.

My girls—my two loves working together—were unknowingly creating memories. And they were creating beautiful memories for me, too, and making one substantial epic mess of my kitchen. The inside of my kitchen looked like an indoor sandstorm with the cake flour spread about on the counter, floor, cupboards, and themselves. There were eggs and everything else they were using all over the counter, floor, and Everly's hair.

Others would probably be upset to see their kitchen a mess like mine at the moment, but me? I'm loving it. They're having fun. And so am I. The room was full of laughter and smiles. I was in heaven with it all. Besides me working with them on self-defense and training at the gun range, this was the first time my girls had hung out and gotten to know one another.

I quietly sat at the table, smiling and watching, mentally noting everything. I had to. Everly has never baked anything—at least not in my home. She has only made sandwiches and poured herself a bowl of cereal, which is simple. And then there's Seraphine. She's never been much into cooking, and she hates baking. But my heart swelled with love when Everly asked if she'd help her make a cake; she didn't bat an eye and quickly told her she would.

I knew buying boxes of cake mix would come in handy. I just didn't think it would be these two doing something with them.

As Seraphine watched beside her, Everly stood at the counter with a serious look in her eye, being extra careful as she poured the batter into a cake pan. When she finished, Seraphine took the spatula, scraped the leftover contents from the bowl in the cake pan, and spread the batter even, showing Everly what to do.

Then she handed the spatula to Everly, looking at me when Everly took it from her hand and immediately shoved it into her mouth, smiling and humming as she licked it.

She slowly slid her tongue over the chocolate batter and smacked her lips before telling Seraphine, "My mom says it's bad to do this because of the eggs. That it could make me sick."

Of course, she did. However, I've heard them say it's never good to consume raw cake or cookie batter because of the eggs and flour. I don't bake myself, and I've never paid attention to food rules until I heard of salmonella outbreaks in lettuce, tomatoes, and other foods that cause it.

"When I was your age, anytime my mom made cookies and cake for us, my sisters and I always licked the spoons and spatulas clean. We never got sick. But that was years ago, and times have changed, so I'm unsure if it's safe to consume." Seraphine's eyes shot to me, looking worried she allowed my daughter to consume something she probably shouldn't. "You probably should've asked your dad if it was okay before you shoved it into your mouth."

I did the same as Seraphine, so it didn't worry me much. I snapped my wrist, letting her know it was okay. "It's fine." I looked at Everly and pointed at her. "Maybe it's best not to lick it next time, and whatever you do. Don't get sick. Your mom will throw it in my face and say, I told you so. You have no business being a father."

"It'll be our secret," Everly said, grinning. "Mom doesn't have to know."

"No, she doesn't," I agreed. "She's already got you on a tight leash. We don't need her adding more rules to your life. Whatever happens or what you do with me here should be left here. Your mother doesn't need to know everything that goes on here. Her knowing everything ended when she and I ended," I pushed.

Everly looked at me, licking the remaining batter on the spatula, saying, "I know, Dad. She's always asking me what I do here, and I shrug and say I play since that's mostly true. And I only told her about the jewelry Marla gave me since she saw me wearing them and asked about them." After a few beats, she added, "She was mad. Like really, really mad."