10 - Declan

Seraphine,

I know I'm your least favorite person right now, and you don't want to see or talk to me. And I completely understand why that is. But I want you to know that I'm sorry for everything. I wish you'd talk to me. I have so much I need to talk with you about. Please give me a chance to explain everything.

Everly is back at her mother's, so she won't be bothering you anymore. Yes, I found out she was in your room and what she'd been doing after seeing a large chunk of cheesecake missing. And I apologize for her sneaking into your room and disrupting you. I know she was trying to help and meant well with what she was doing for you, but I asked her to leave you alone until you were ready to socialize with us.

I had to go to work, so feel free to roam the house and do as you please. Marla said she gave you a tour the other day, and I want you to know that nothing is off-limits. Not that you care what I think, but I want you to feel welcome here. I made sure to stock up on all the food I remember you enjoyed eating. So, please help yourself to anything you'd like. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me. My number's already in your phone.

Declan

***

"So. How's it going with that long-lost love back in your life?" Murphy asked with a curious look in his eye just before he took a large bite of his Italian hoagie.

"How did you know she's my ex?"

"Marla filled me in about who she was after Felicity left and Everly was in the house."

I should've known.

"It was also easy to figure out after seeing your faces once you two realized who each other was. It was also written all over your face while studying her, trying to figure out who she was. She's the woman you always talk about. The one from your past. She's not just an ex. She's the ex—the one Marla unintentionally fucked up your relationship with."

I'm still upset with Marla and my superiors about that, but they didn't know, and I had a job to do. I just hope Seraphine will allow me to explain why I left.

"Yeah. She's the one," I admitted, sighing. "And it's going as I suspected it would." As I sipped my water, I was reminded of the look on Seraphine's face when she realized who I was. "I don't blame her for avoiding me. And I'm sure she's still processing her escape from her abusive husband and how she was brought to a home that just so happens to be her ex-fiancé's."

Besides Marla, my partner, Murphy, is the only one who knows what happened twelve years ago. He, too, was a sharpshooter in the Marines and was deployed at the same time I was. We also worked together on some of the missions in Afghanistan. And the classified operation I was assigned to, Murphy, was also a part of twelve years ago.

After returning to New York and seeing Seraphine in the arms of another man, I got a hold of Murphy and explained what I saw. After I told him I needed somewhere to go to avoid running in to her again, he suggested I move to Alabama. Then he referred me to the Mobile, Alabama, police department.

"Give it time. I'm sure seeing you was quite a shock to her, and once that shock wears off, she'll come around asking questions," Murphy assumed, chewing his food as he spoke.

It might be awhile before that happens. Marla said Seraphine refused to talk to me and didn't want to look at me. As sad as that makes me, I honestly don't blame her. In her eyes, I did her wrong. Even though I didn't.

I may be happy to have her back in my life and in my home, but I know the feelings aren't mutual.

"I'll figure out something to break the tension and get her to talk to me."