18 - Seraphine

Every day for the last two weeks, Declan, after work, has had me at the gun range practicing my shooting and at the gym, having me practice the self-defense moves he and his partner Murphy had been teaching me. This time, though, Declan had me practicing the moves on his partner.

Now, I know how to load and unload the handgun Declan bought me and how to shoot it. It still makes me nervous about holding and being around one, but now that I have the knowledge of how to use one and know it's for my protection, my mind is much more at ease being around them.

I did enjoy learning how to protect myself with the self-defense moves I was taught. I liked learning the moves so much that I wished I'd known how to defend myself when Chadwick's fists were coming at me. I would've fought back—maybe. I need to be honest. Had I fought back, it would've put me even more in trouble with him, and the beatings would've been much worse.

Now, I woke up this morning with my body as sore as I was when my last beating from Chadwick happened—the day before Marla helped me escape. Thankfully, Declan told me I could use his jacuzzi whenever I wanted. So, since I have the house to myself and don't have to worry about being interrupted, I took him up on the offer, which is where I am now. And it feels incredible.

The heat and buoyancy of the jacuzzi helped clear my mind and body relax, and the hydromassage stimulated my aching muscles, relaxing and reducing the inflammation of the stressed muscles I hadn't used in years. I was in so much of a state of serenity, my eyes closed, wanting to enjoy the feeling even more from how the jacuzzi's jets were easing my knotted muscles.

While enjoying the jets pummeling my body, paranoia hit me when I heard a noise outside the bathroom door. My eyes shot open wide, and I quickly sprang forward, covering my breasts with my arms.

I swallowed, then shakily called out when I thought I heard footsteps, "Declan? Is that you?"

I leaned over the jacuzzi to see if I could hear better when nobody answered.

"Hello?" I asked nervously, my heart thumping hard against my chest—so hard that I could hear it beating.

My eyes widened when I looked at the door and saw I had left it unlocked. Carefully and very quietly, not wanting the water to make a sound, I stretched over the jacuzzi, reached for the towel, and wrapped it around me as I stood.

My heart was beating so hard and fast that I felt like I was about to pass out, but I hurried quietly to the door anyway and slowly turned the lock. Then I scanned the room to see if Declan had anything I could use to defend myself but saw nothing.

I tiptoed to the bathroom counter and quietly searched the drawers and cabinets to see if he had anything I could use as a weapon, but found nothing.

Fuck. I'm screwed.

Declan told me to have the handgun he bought me on me at all times, especially when he isn't around, but I left it in my room, and I'm in Declan's. Shit. And so is my phone, which is in my room, too.

I returned to the door and pressed my ear against it, listening for anything. When I heard nothing, I unlocked the door, quietly opened it, and slowly peeked my head around.

Nothing.

I snagged my robe off the door hook and hurriedly put it on, then ventured out, hopefully making it to my room without becoming a homicide victim.

I tiptoed to the door and peeked my head around, looking from left to right.

Again, nothing. So I tiptoed quickly down the hallway to get to my room, and when I got in, I hurriedly shut the door and locked it, my heart on the verge of bursting and causing a crime scene.