What Just Happened?

There's no denying Jake's obvious charm and sexiness. It was intoxicating. No one could stand being in the same room as him for the simple reason he was too distracting. I mean, look at me, I had a freakin' tiff with the guy and I can come just thinking about him with my hand down my underwear. If Jake knew the kind of impact he had on me, I'd be done for. Trust me, I wasn't showing half of what I presented to him and that says a lot about how much I swoon over him. The guy could tap me on my shoulder and I'd melt at the desk. He could revise the Spanish Inquisition and I'd remember every word. Which is why it's soooooo freakin' hard to forget about this guy.

I wanted to absolutely hate him for taking pity on me and 'putting in a good word' for me with Robert, but I couldn't. At least when he was watching I could. I'd brush past him in hallways with my nose turned up and my hips swinging confidently from side to side. Like, I. Don't. Wanna. Talk; flick of the hair, and that was the only affect I'd have on him.

When the calls stopped I worried, eventually he picked up the phone once more and on that I answered.

"I know why you're mad now," he said sternly.

"Why?"

"Because you think I was taking pity on you."

"And?"

"And you think, by my putting in a good word for you, that I figured you needed it."

"I'm not as helpless as you think I am, you know."

"I know."

"And I do think I give Robert quite a good impression."

"You do."

He said it so surely it started to make me curious. "He's said something to you about me hasn't he?"

Jake sighed. "Ah, yes, my adoptive father is always my favourite subject."

I rolled my eyes, and even though he couldn't see, my warning tone at least said it all. "Jake."

"Okay, alright," he surrendered. "Well, he just said you were one of his best workers, if not the best." He paused, during which I was patting myself on the back and doing a little dance in my living room. I feel high on life right now. "He actually cracked it at me for thinking that you needed such help. He really likes you. It makes me kind of...nah, never mind," he laughed.

"What?" I wondered.

"It kind of makes me jealous."

"It does?" I asked, taken aback.

"Yeah, just, I don't know. I've never been with a girl my father has approved of before."

In that, we silenced. I bit my lip, unable to find the right words. Or any words for that matter.

Eventually, Jake cleared his throat. "Which is not to say you and I are together or anything. I'm just saying."

"Yeah, I know."

"I mean, I don't want you to get the wrong idea about our arrangement."

"I think I got it."

Another silence, this time a little awkward.

"Well I, umm, I better go."

"Okay."

"I'll...see you tomorrow."

I nodded. "Yup."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Bye."

Slouching on the sofa, cell phone in hand, I stared into the distance and narrowed my eyes in thought. What just happened?