004| boys like you

Começar do início

"It'd be nice of ya." Sabrina said and Daryl groaned. 

"You better refill my Coke then," Daryl said, sliding the red soda cup over to her side of the counter. "If I'm gonna listen to you yap away all night, I'm gonna need that caffeine. And you'll need to bring me a doggy bag from whatever restaurant DuPorn takes ya to." 

+

Sabrina pulled a black turtleneck over the top of her head, careful not to smudge her makeup. She peeked at herself in the mirror. Long red hair cascaded over her shoulder, freshly shampooed and lay in curls that cascaded down her back. Her make up was more dramatic than usual, a bright red lipstick making the whole outfit pop. She anxiously wiped the sweat from her palms onto her worn jeans. 

Did she really want to go on this date? No not really. Not anymore. The idea of going to a fancy restaurant had been appealing at first, but now she realized that just wasn't her scene. Especially as she realized the only dress she owned was from her grandmothers funeral. 

A knock at the door sounded, breaking her from her thoughts. Before she had the chance to go see who it was, the door opened and Daryl strolled through a cigarette behind his ear and a button up layered over a gray tank top. The outer layer wasn't buttoned instead it hung open showcasing his torso. Her eyes lingered on his chest, and the way the tank top fit snuggly. Why was she going on this stupid date when she knew exactly what she wanted? Why was she going on this date when she knew exactly who she wanted and he was right here in her living room? 

"Wow you look..." Daryl spoke, trailing off as his eyes lingered over ever inch of skin. 

"Like a sore thumb?" Sabrina offered and Daryl shook his head before meeting her eyes. 

"Was gonna say beautiful." Daryl said instead and Sabrina tried to ignore the way heat flooded her cheeks.  Sabrina tried to ignore the way Daryl made her feel. That's why she was going on this stupid date anyway. To get him off of her mind. They'd been friends for years, if he wanted to make a move he could've done it at any second up to this exact moment. "Ready?" 

"Yeah, lets go." Sabrina said, grabbing her tattered purse she found at a thrift store and slinging it over her shoulder. There wasn't much in it, just a wad of cash and tube of old lipstick. She felt like an imposter. Like a sheep going into the wolves den. 

Daryl guided Sabrina out of the house, where the truck was still running. He made his way over to the passenger side, opening the door and making sure she was settled in before closing the door and rounding the front to get in the drivers seat. 

The drive was silent, and Daryl noticed the way Sabrina was picking at the red nail polish on her fingernails. She was nervous, or had something else on her mind. He watched out of the corner of his eye as she picked at her cuticle.

He made a right turn into the movie theater parking lot, where he could see DuPorn; a nickname he'd never let die, standing with one of his buddies and another girl wearing decade old pearls and some high-end dress that cost more than his truck. Sabrina clutched the door handle so tightly her knuckles whitened.  She didn't make any move to get out of the truck though. 

"Hey," Daryl said, snapping her attention towards him. She looked at him with wide eyes, like a deer in headlights. "You good?" 

Sabrina swallowed, looking over her shoulder to where James DuPont and Weston Rothschild were standing. She didn't recognize the girl, but could tell she came from old money too. 

"Yeah, I'm uh..." Sabrina trailed off searching for the words. "Just didn't realize it was going to be a double date." 

  "You want me to stay? Sit in the truck?" Daryl offered. If she needed him, he'd stay. Hell he'd do anything for the redhead he called his best friend.